New FDA Pet Food Safety Update

  • Westgold
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2013
      This was posted on one of the felinediabetes lists --

      The FDA has published some guidelines that change the way pet foods are
      monitored. The intent is to improve pet food safety, no matter where in the
      world the ingredients originate. My understanding is that the FDA is
      looking for input, presumably from veterinarians, and I gather from pet
      owners as well.

      http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm371395.htm

      Fact sheet:
      http://www.fda.gov/downloads/Food/GuidanceRegulation/FSMA/UCM368997.pdf

      You can provide feedback up to February 14, 2014 at this site, if you are
      interested:
      http://www.regulations.gov/#!docketBrowser;rpp=25;po=0;D=FDA-2011-N-0922

      Remember that this is not a place to comment on your idea of a "perfect"
      food, but to promote safety and nutritional completeness of the foods we
      feed. I am sure that if people start including an agenda in their comments,
      the comments will quickly be dismissed as the site is likely to get a fair
      amount of feedback for the FDA to weed through.

      I imagine that those of us who live outside the US will be impacted as well,
      as most foods in North America seem to follow US guidelines. Chances are
      that by following the guidelines the manufacturers will incur greater
      expense, so we can expect to pay even more for our pet foods in the near
      future.