OT Maybe? But I Think Important

  • Mirsades
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 31, 2013
      Morning everyone.....I subscribe to a free newsletter that warns pet lovers about what’s in their pet food and recalls. She goes to AAFCO meetings and fights for us and our pets to make the food we feed them safer. She actually challenges the manufacturers. The newsletter I received today had several issues I am dealing with right now with Romeeoh.

      The one that caught my eye the most was about pea protein, peas and pea fiber in pet food. Just so happens that the two bags of dry, grain free, that I bought about two weeks ago but never opened have this ingredient in there. I guess they will be going back to the store.

      One of the other articles is on Nutro Natural Choice Cat Food, one of the bags I bought. Her articles are so informing. I encourage everyone to subscribe. She warns of recalls usually even before the FDA puts out a bulletin. Her information may save some of our furbabies one day. One of the pros...small cans do not contain BPA lining which had been shown to be a carcinogen.

      Mirsades
    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 31, 2013

        Thanks for telling us about this.  Is it only the Nutro that doesn't use BPA in their small cans??  Because I thought all small cans were lined with BPA.

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 31, 2013
          Mirsades, peas are protein rich legumes and not grain nor carbs. I had sent you a link to Dr. Pierson's good explanations about cat food and what is in them , it also has the list of all canned foods their protein, carbs and calorie values. Her main website at catinfo.org has the good articles.
          1. Commercial Canned Foods by Lisa A. Pierson, DVM :: reading cat ...www.catinfo.org/?link=cannedfoodsORIGIN of CATINFO ... All canned foods contain an appropriate (high) amount of water which is critical for urinary tract health. ...... Please see this link for more information. Updated February 2013. Lisa A. Pierson, DVM. DrPierson@catinfoorg  ...
          2. Hope this helps

            Erika
          Sent from my iPad with mysterious typos

          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 31, 2013

            I follow commercial pet food information very closely. It’s mainly the large cans (tall ones) that have the BPA. Most of the smaller ones don’t anymore. The only way to be sure is to check with the manufacturer of each food you are considering.

            Mary Sue

            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 31, 2013

              OT yes, but quality food is one of the most important things we provide for our cats, especially when they are dealing with medical conditions.

              Various pea components are used in pet foods to replace grains and increase the protein content. They are sometimes successfully used in conjunction with novel diets to address food allergies. Some pets can tolerate the ingredient, some can’t. Peas certainly aren’t a natural food for cats, but then a great deal of what is in commercial cat food is not appropriate for them either.

              Definitions provided on the Nature’s Variety website are:

              Pea Protein

              Ground concentrated protein source derived from field peas.

              Pea Starch

              Pea starch is made from green or yellow field peas. Peas are considered a “pulse” crop, grown mainly in Canada. Pea starch is high in resistant starch, which means it is slowly digested. Pea starch supplies a palatable starch option in our grain-free products.

              The link to catinfo.org and Dr. Pierson, posted by Erika, is one of my favorite sites for information on feline species appropriate diets.

              Mary Sue

              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 31, 2013

                wow, I am so glad to hear this.  the linings in Fancy Feast cans were said to help bring about diabetes in cats that were prone to it.  And of course BPA also causes all kinds of other hormone problems too.

                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 1, 2013
                  Where did you read this about fancy feast cans and diabetes? How can a can cause this?

                  Elise

                  Sent from my iPhone
                • Mary Sue Rubin
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 1, 2013

                    I’ve read of the association of BPA lined cans and hyperthyroidism in cats. Studies with humans have shown an increased incidence of diabetes in people with increased BPA levels in their urine and I think there are some studies with lab animals. I think there is cause for concern, but no definitive proof yet. Here’s an article that speaks to some of it. http://endocrinevet.blogspot.com/2012/02/paper-review-high-amounts-of-chemical.html There are others. Just search for “feline diabetes and BPA in cat food cans”.

                    The ingredients, aside from the questionable BPA, in Fancy Feast are likely to contribute to diabetes because of the high grain and carbohydrate count. There is still disagreement on if grains and other carbs cause diabetes, but there is general agreement that once a cat has diabetes it is essential for good control to feed a high meat protein, low carbohydrate diet.

                    Mary Sue

                    Where did you read this about fancy feast cans and diabetes? How can a can cause this?

                    Elise

                  • bubbacat12003
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 1, 2013
                      This isn't the right group, but as a disclaimer Fancy Feast is recommended by many of the Feline Diabetes groups because it does have a high protein to carb ratio. Many cats have gone into remission by changing their diet to Fancy Feast. The "pate" flavors are higher in protein than the ones with gravy/sauce if you're looking specifically for a low carb food.

                      Jo

[...]

                    • Diana Fox
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 2, 2013
                        Fancy Feast (classic style) is recommended for diabetic cats because of the lower carbs and my MC girl ate them after she was diagnosed- we brought her insulin dose down from four units to one unit-our vet was really impressed!
                        Diana-north of Raleigh

                        -----Original Message----- From: Mary Sue Rubin <msrubin@...> To: 'Elise Eisfelder' <eeisfelder@...>; feline-heart <feline-heart@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Fri, Nov 1, 2013 10:52 am Subject: RE: [FH] Re: OT Maybe? But I Think Important