Advice please! Possible HCM and RCM

  • missmeow63
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 25, 2013
      Took 2 cats to be heart scanned yesterday just for piece of mind, as I already have  a Selkirk with HCM and a British with RCM, to my horror they found problems with them both, so I now have heart problems with all 4 of my cats .

      My other Selkirk yesterday tested Equivocal for HCM is measurement was 5.9mm the cut of over here is 6mm so he is very close, they also found he has Mid-ventricular cavity obliteration ? Really have no idea what this is? And also now a grade 2 murmur.
      My other British boy I took yesterday they have said he has an extra papillary muscle at LVFW and also has a diastolic dysfunction, which is unusual for his age, when I told them about his half sister having RCM he said it could be early onset for RCM. He's asked for both cats to be scanned again in 6 months, at the moment they have not been prescribed any medication. Is diastolic dysfunction serious ?

      Thank you Mandy
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 26, 2013
        Hi

        I am sorry to hear of your cats, Mandy. As you know, I have 5 selkriks with heart problems too. I use this website when I don't understand anything, it explains everything clearly and all the terms. I highly recommend it.

        The cavity obliteration is when one of the heart chambers is thickened so there is not room for blood to fill the chamber. It's a form of cardiomyopathy. The murmur is caused when the valves leak blood backwards trhough them.

        The extra papillary muscle is not uncommon in cats, it can happen in healthy cats too. Diastolic dysfunction is when the heart ventricle is not performing correctly and is an early sign of RCM. See this site.

        I know you are good at breath counting now, so you need to add these two to the watch list, checking for an increase whilst resting or changes. I`d consider CoQ and if they need anything to prevent a blood clot. I`m sure if in 6 months they progress, they'll start treatment. I am just so sorry you are in the same situation as me.