Forgot His Med

  • Mirsades
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 25, 2013
      I can’t believe I forgot to give him his atenolol this morning. I remembered before I went to my eye appointment. Last night’s dose was at 9:53p so he should have gotten his by 10:00a this morning. Instead I gave it to him at 2:15p today. Should I just have waiting till 10:00p tonight and skipped the earlier dose? Since I gave it to him, should I wake up at 2:15p in the morning and give him the next dose? Should I just skip it and give him his dose at 9:00a in the morning??? Not sure what I should do....sheesh!!! Can’t believe I did that. Too worried about him and my eye appointment I guess.

      Mirsades

    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 26, 2013
        Hi

        Give it him about 11:30 tonight , and then go back to normal tomorrow:)  We've all done that, forgotten a med, double dosed a med and dosed the wrong cat. Atenolol is the one that has to be kept up though, you can't stop it. Just adjust a bit later tonight for it:)

        Lyn

      • Mirsades
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 26, 2013
          Hi Vickie,

          Thank you for your comforting words. I don’t know how much longer I can keep this up tho. I find myself getting agitated at him. I feel like I am at the breaking point. I haven’t gotten much sleep every night, usually 3-4 hours for the past month. I’ll get up around 5:00a or 6:00a to try and feed him a little, clean up any regurg. wait 15-20 minutes, try again (because he is hungry and begging) and if he keeps that little bit down, wait 15 minutes, give him a bit more.

          In between those waiting times, he’s on my desk, pawing at the computer wires, I pick him up to put him on the floor while he’s growling at me. Try to type and he’s back up here walking on my keyboard. I put him down again and throw his toy so he can chase it. He’s back again, WITH his toy. I throw it, he bats it under the fridge and then wants me to get it out. I’m feeling pressure in my chest, I walk in the living room to get away from him and sit on the couch to try and relax, he follows me in there and starts to mess with things. I go back into the kitchen and take 1/2 valium. I want to go back to bed but want to feed him a bit more so I wait, again to see if it stays down.

          I can’t even think straight. Please everyone forgive me if I ever sound “snappy” to any of you, I don’t mean too, I just can’t take this. Once this morning I threw his toy down the hallway and said “here, go have a heart attack” and I felt really bad about that and started crying. At this rate I’ll have the heart attack before he does.

          It’s 7:00a and the valium is kicking in so I’m taking the phone off the hook and going back to bed to try and get some sleep. Hopefully he will come in there to sleep on the bed and not to bother me. I will have to lock him in the bathroom if he does.

          I apologize to all of you if this sounds mean but I really can’t take much anymore.

          Mirsades

          Sent: Saturday, October 26, 2013 4:36 AM
          Subject: Re: [FH] Forgot His Med

          Hi Mirasades,

          First of all I want to say I've been keeping you and your boy in my thoughts and prayers. You're doing an AMAZING job!!!

          Second, I've missed doeses of meds before. I hate it but there are times I've had to give up. My Illy has HCM and most times she is a wonder and licks her meds off my finger like a champ. There have been a few times that I couldn't get her to do it and in trying to force them I was scared I'd stress her out so I simply didn't push it. She's on once every 24 hrs so when that happens I try to get them in to her as soon after that timing permits...we do pills in the evening as it's easier on me when I'm not trying to get off to work so if we missed evening meds I do them in the morning, then slowly work back to her normal time. It may not be the best practice but my vet has told me to always keep stress levels down as  Illy will know if I'm stressed and react. I've seen her do this so do my absolute best to stay sane for her (helps me too).

          Keep on doing what you've been doing, come to this group for anything...they are the BEST..and know we're all here for you.

          Hugs and kitten cuddles to you,
          Vickie and Illy

        • karenborga@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 26, 2013
            Hi Misrades,

            I am very sorry for these sad and trying times for you and your baby.
            What is your kitty's name?

            Dr Alice Villalobos has a Quality of Life Scale on her Pawspice website.
            www.pawspice.com

            Perhaps her scale will help you assess your situation.
            Also my friends at APLB have an anticipatory chat 1st and 3rd Thursdays.
            Or you can privately email Lois, the anticipatory chat room host.
            You are welcome in the pet loss chats as well.

            (( Hugs ))

            Karen, Asst. Host (Sun)
            Moderated on-line chat pet loss/anticipatory support
            Visit http://www.aplb.org for chat room schedule.

            *****

            ....Once this morning I threw his toy down the hallway and said “here, go have a heart attack” and I felt really bad about that and started crying. At this rate I’ll have the heart attack before he does.

            It’s 7:00a and the valium is kicking in so I’m taking the phone off the hook and going back to bed to try and get some sleep. Hopefully he will come in there to sleep on the bed and not to bother me. I will have to lock him in the bathroom if he does.

            I apologize to all of you if this sounds mean but I really can’t take much anymore.

            Mirsades

            Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
          • Mirsades

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 26, 2013
                It is very hard to care for them when they are at a stage where they need constant attention. I've been there too. Right now I have three sick furkids in the house and sleep is something that I just try to catch up with when I can.  You just have to do the best you can and hold on to the good things that go on, and try not to concentrate on the bad stuff and what you don't have anymore.  A normal life for us when our kitties become old, infirm or sick, is something that really doesn't exist for us.  We just have to find the strength to get through the days and cherish what we do have while they're here.

                Hang in there. Meditation and chamomile-lavendar tea get me through the days sometimes.

                Carol

                Thank you for your comforting words. I don’t know how much longer I can keep this up tho. I find myself getting agitated at him. I feel like I am at the breaking point. I haven’t gotten much sleep every night, usually 3-4 hours for the past month. I’ll get up around 5:00a or 6:00a to try and feed him a little, clean up any regurg. wait 15-20 minutes, try again (because he is hungry and begging) and if he keeps that little bit down, wait 15 minutes, give him a bit more.

              • marianna.mayer
                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 26, 2013
                  So true, Carol. These are the times that build character, and what we give is so well deserved b/c our little ones give us their all.
                   Marianna

                  It is very hard to care for them when they are at a stage where they need constant attention. I've been there too. Right now I have three sick furkids in the house and sleep is something that I just try to catch up with when I can.  You just have to do the best you can and hold on to the good things that go on, and try not to concentrate on the bad stuff and what you don't have anymore.  A normal life for us when our kitties become old, infirm or sick, is something that really doesn't exist for us.  We just have to find the strength to get through the days and cherish what we do have while they're here.

                  Hang in there. Meditation and chamomile-lavendar tea get me through the days sometimes.

                  Carol

                • r schu
                  Message 8 of 8 , Nov 5, 2013
                    Well said Carol, thanks for the meditation reminder.  And I might add that one can adapt to a certain amount of sleep deprivation over time.  At least I have.

                    Hang in there everyone.

                    -Lee and May

                    Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:37 am (PDT) . Posted by:

                    "Carol" carolroars