Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Fwd: [FH] Re: Good News For Philbert

Expand Messages
  • Ruth
    Sent this offlist by mistake: ... The scan he had that I m assuming was ultrasound was £70. Is there anything else is could have been? All I know is some
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 20, 2013
    • 0 Attachment


      Sent this offlist by mistake:




      On 20 October 2013 04:35, Jim Sinclair <jisincla@...> wrote:

      Good, though I am not sure what would cost so much money if the
      ultrasound has already been done. In my experience the ultrasound was
      the most expensive part of the diagnostic process. I, and I'm sure
      others here, will be very interested to find out what's included in
      the £500 work-up!
       
      The scan he had that I'm assuming was ultrasound was £70.  Is there anything else is could have been?  All I know is some fur was shaved behind his right front leg for the process.  Poor Philbert is naturally furless underneath, so he could do not to lose more at this time of year!
       
      As you say, I really need to know what the £500 would be paying for.  So I need to try to speak to the cardiologist, and make sure I have pen and paper to hand.
       

      > The vet said he could have another ultrasound at a cheaper price as a follow up, but she's clear that she's not a cardiologist.

      That is also good, and something to speak with the cardiologist about.
      Follow-up ultrasounds are recommended to track the progress of the
      disease so that medications can be adjusted depending on how things
      are going. Based on my experience with Clipsy and Rhapsody, as well as
      what I've read here, I get the impression that a follow-up ultrasound
      is commonly recommended after six months, and the frequency of repeat
      ultrasounds after that depends on how much change is observed on the
      six-month follow-up (faster progression means more frequent scans,
      slower progression means more time between scans).
       
      Yes, I'm thinking there's probably not much point in a follow up just a month or so later, especially from someone who admits she's not any kind of cardio expert.
       

      Did they not do a chest X ray as part of what he's already had? That's
      something that can be done by a general vet, and if the vet wants it
      read by a radiologist, the image can be sent out for a radiologist to
      review. (They don't even have physical X ray films anymore that need
      to be sent back and forth. The X ray can go directly into a computer
      file and be emailed, or put on a CD for the radiologist.)
       
       
      No, the X-ray has been suggested separately.  When he went for the scan we had no idea if anything was really wrong or not.  He showed a heart murmur at his vaccination check up, but the vet said many cats live years perfectly healthily with heart murmurs, it was just worth checking out given his history.  She was unsure if getting out of breath during play was significant, but from what's been said here it sounds like it is.
       
       

      > I guess my worry here on this forum is folk think money is more important to me than Philbert; not true but money really does have to be a consideration.

      Yes, that's my situation too. I've explained to my vets that I have
      very limited funds and I need their help to use those funds most
      effectively.

       
      That's a good way to put it.  I'll remember to say something like that. 
       
      Ruth


    • Mirsades
      Around 2:00p today I decided to try and make a call again to the vet clinic that is two hours away from me to ask if I could talk to a cardiologist if I
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 20, 2013
      • 0 Attachment
        Around 2:00p today I decided to try and make a call again to the vet clinic that is two hours away from me to ask if I could talk to a cardiologist if I couldn’t bring Romeeoh in. I thought maybe I could find someone to go with me and drive down there. Well.....they took my phone number and I just got a call from one of the cardiologists!!!! I thought I was going to have to talk fast because maybe he was busy. He was very nice and spent time with me and I was able to read some of the numbers from the ultrasound to him. He does do some travelling but doesn’t come up this far. Anyway.....he said that there are things to watch for, elevated respiration, etc. but not to pay too much attention to the gum tissue color because it changes throughout the day due to stress, etc.
        His left atrium size is ok (I wish I could have recorded the call, I’m already forgetting things) LA/AO Dia: 1.40. They like to see it below 1.5. He also told me not to worry too much that Romeeoh should be ok for awhile, maybe two years before things start getting worse but that could always change. He also said that the atenolol didn’t need to be given but since I have had him on it for a week already I should keep it up. I wish I could have spoken to him before I started it, darn it. There are some reports he has read that say it doesn’t do much to help the heart and sometimes can shorten lifespan, which is what I also read.
        I like him He also said that if I wanted to bring Romeeoh down there he could prescribe a light sedative for the car ride called Butorphanol and they would get me in right away because of the long drive. I asked how long should I wait to try and bring him down and he said around 6 months so next spring I think I will have to try and do that so he can see him. He is only there on Sundays so that would be good traffic wise. Don’t know what his schedule might be by spring. I told him he should take my name and number in case he ever leaves there so he could tell me where he was going and I asked him for his full name so I could track him down if he left and the clinic wouldn’t tell me where he went
        Now I just have to figure out this regurgitation thing. Maybe I will try some dry food again? Not sure what kind. Would like to avoid the corn ingredient tho I don’t really know what started all this except the Blue Buffalo brand. It may have started a food allergy to something in dry food so not sure what to do yet.
        Anyway, I wanted to share all this with you all since you’ve been so patient with me and my anxiety disorder, which makes everything bigger and worse than it might be.
        Huggs from both of us.
        Mirsades & Romeeoh <=^..^=>




        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • Karen Plasket
        Hi Mirsades, It certainly sounds very encouraging! However, I would recommend keeping Romeeoh on the Atenolol...we have had several cats with mild murmurs
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 20, 2013
        • 0 Attachment
          Hi Mirsades,
          It certainly sounds very encouraging!  However, I would recommend keeping Romeeoh on the Atenolol...we have had several cats with mild murmurs resolve their murmurs when starting on Atenolol.  My own cat's Cardiologist recommends the same thing.  I have never heard of Atenolol shortening the life span of cats...people, yes, but even then they tend to have other serious health conditions.
          My own Scottish Fold has been on Atenolol since he was diagnosed with HCM at 12 years old...he turns 18 next week.  He gets it once daily, along with other heart medications we have had to add in over the years.  One cardiologist gave him 6 months to live (that was 5 years ago)...we have since changed cardiologists!
          If you decide to take Romeeoh off Atenolol, take him off very slowly!
          Karen Plasket, DVM
          -----Original Message-----
          From: Mirsades <mirsades@...>
          To: feline-heart <feline-heart@yahoogroups.com>; Feline_Pancreatitis_Support <Feline_Pancreatitis_Support@yahoogroups.com>
          Sent: Sun, Oct 20, 2013 7:59 pm
          Subject: [FH] Romeeoh - "Some" Good News??

           
          Around 2:00p today I decided to try and make a call again to the vet clinic that is two hours away from me to ask if I could talk to a cardiologist if I couldn’t bring Romeeoh in. I thought maybe I could find someone to go with me and drive down there. Well.....they took my phone number and I just got a call from one of the cardiologists!!!! I thought I was going to have to talk fast because maybe he was busy. He was very nice and spent time with me and I was able to read some of the numbers from the ultrasound to him. He does do some travelling but doesn’t come up this far. Anyway.....he said that there are things to watch for, elevated respiration, etc. but not to pay too much attention to the gum tissue color because it changes throughout the day due to stress, etc.
          His left atrium size is ok (I wish I could have recorded the call, I’m already forgetting things) LA/AO Dia: 1.40. They like to see it below 1.5. He also told me not to worry too much that Romeeoh should be ok for awhile, maybe two years before things start getting worse but that could always change. He also said that the atenolol didn’t need to be given but since I have had him on it for a week already I should keep it up. I wish I could have spoken to him before I started it, darn it. There are some reports he has read that say it doesn’t do much to help the heart and sometimes can shorten lifespan, which is what I also read.
          I like him He also said that if I wanted to bring Romeeoh down there he could prescribe a light sedative for the car ride called Butorphanol and they would get me in right away because of the long drive. I asked how long should I wait to try and bring him down and he said around 6 months so next spring I think I will have to try and do that so he can see him. He is only there on Sundays so that would be good traffic wise. Don’t know what his schedule might be by spring. I told him he should take my name and number in case he ever leaves there so he could tell me where he was going and I asked him for his full name so I could track him down if he left and the clinic wouldn’t tell me where he went
          Now I just have to figure out this regurgitation thing. Maybe I will try some dry food again? Not sure what kind. Would like to avoid the corn ingredient tho I don’t really know what started all this except the Blue Buffalo brand. It may have started a food allergy to something in dry food so not sure what to do yet.
          Anyway, I wanted to share all this with you all since you’ve been so patient with me and my anxiety disorder, which makes everything bigger and worse than it might be.
          Huggs from both of us.
          Mirsades & Romeeoh <=^..^=>

          [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.