Drugs

  • Mirsades
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 12, 2013

      Has anyone used budesonide or lukeran for any of your kitties conditions? These two were mentioned, along with atenolol, by the person that did his ultrasound. I will post the findings of Romeeoh's ultrasound below.

      This is what the abdominal report said:

      “The findings for this patient are consistent with feline inflammatory bowel disease (IBD). There appears to be a mild pancreatitis that is likely resolving since the patient was not painful to probe pressure during the examination. The remainder of the examination was normal. Recommendations would be to treat with Prednisone +/- Leukeran (depends upon response to Prednisone) and a hypoallergenic diet. Also consider annual ultrasound examinations to monitor the progress of the IBD and the heart disease.”

      This is the report for the heart:

      “The findings for this patient are consistent with severe feline hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM). The heart rate at rest when the patient was calm was 203BPM and faster at times. Recommendations would be to initiate Atenolol therapy at 6.25mg BID to help reduce the tachycardia. The left atrium is not enlarged at this time. An addendum to the abdominal ultrasound report would be to not use Prednisone because of the HCM, Budesonide would be preferred and possibly Leukeran since Prednisone therapy is not an option.”
    • Cindi
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 12, 2013
        I've used Leukeran with great results for a cat with SLE (lupus).

        Cindi missing the touch of Ditto
        There she was, elegant, beautiful, swathed in the shiniest of clinging silks, a vision of loveliness in coffee and cream --- a Princess from Bangkok, an Oriental Goddess, a Queen on her throne --- a Siamese cat!
        from May Eustace's Cats in Clover

[...]

      • elfinmyst
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 13, 2013
          Hi

          I have no experience with either of those drugs, but budesonide is also a steroid so I`m cautious about that one with severe HCM. However, its a balance of treating both conditions and that's always difficult. Did they mention anything to stop clots or if lasix was needed? I`m not sure, was it a cardiologist did the ultrasound? If not, I would try and get one as soon as possible and have the results and echo sent over for evaluation. A cardiologist would be the best person to advise on drugs. With severe HCM, that is a very serious condition and may need more than atenolol.

          Lyn

        • Lynda Doty
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 13, 2013
            Martha has HCM and severe IBD and gets budesonide and Leukeran. I don't think there has been a problem with this protocol.

            Blessings,
            Lynda, Martha, Morelli and Angel C.B.