OT - dark spots

  • Jordan
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 11, 2013
      Hello Friends:

      Please bare with me if this is off topic, but since you sort of know Sheba and I  . . . . I thought who better to ask:

      Sheba is a 9 year old himalayan kitty who suffers from feline asthma, heart disease and recovering from a recent pancreatitis attack.   She is currently on Plavix.

      I am noticing dark spots on Sheba's neck and belly that were not there before.  At first I thought they were bruises, which got me concerned, but the fur beneath the skin is growning in the same color.   Due to her long coat, Sheba's belly is shaved regularly along with a sani groom around her backside to prevent dingleberries (feces).

      I offer this info because these dark patches on the skin are along with the fur that is also growing in the same color.   Is this bruising?  Or is it common for kitty coat markings to change with age??   Should I tak her the vet tomorrow??

      Thanks,
    • marianna.mayer
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 11, 2013
        Jordan,
        I have never seen such spots appear on any of my cats young or old. It sounds very strange. I would have your vet look at Sheba's skin. Just to put your mind at ease.
        Please send us an update. In your place, I would be worried too.
         Marianna

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 12, 2013
          Hi J

          Ask your vet for peace of mind, but I`ve found it;s fairly common for fur to grow in at a new colour after shaving. Bruising is caused by clotted blood under the skin and doesn't grow into the hair. My black Selkirk boy had a white neck patch after vaccination, my chocolate boy has black fur growing after being shaved:) Breeders of rare colours ask for midline spays because the fur grows in at a different colour sometimes .But ask anyway, it'll put your mind at rest.

          Lyn

        • Cindi
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 12, 2013
            Is your cat's color pointed?  Pointed color cats have heat sensitive fur color.  I've had this happen with Siamese breeds when shaved and the hair grows back since that area that was shaved is cooler.  After the darker hair falls out the new hair is back to the normal color.

            Cindi missing the touch of Ditto
            There she was, elegant, beautiful, swathed in the shiniest of clinging silks, a vision of loveliness in coffee and cream --- a Princess from Bangkok, an Oriental Goddess, a Queen on her throne --- a Siamese cat!
            from May Eustace's Cats in Clover

          • Cindi
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 12, 2013
              I noticed your cat is a Himalayan so the darker places in fur could be from lower body temperatures if there was hair loss in those areas.
              "The Himalayan pattern is heat-sensitive, so the fullest expression of color is on the cooler parts of the cat's body: face, ears, legs and tail."
              source is 2nd link below

              http://zooclub.ru/eng/cats/okras/3.shtml
              http://www.catchannel.com/about-himalayan/himalayan-cat-coat-patterns.aspx

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 12, 2013
                Yes Cindi.  Sheba is a tortie point himalayan.    I had no idea about heat sensitive fur .  . THANK YOU!!
              • Ruth
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 12, 2013
                  Maybe irrelevant, but my aunt had a black and white cat that faded to brown and white in old age.  Very noticeable change.  I'm not aware of the contours of her markings changing, though.

                  Ruth