Fwd: [FH] Re: My Cat Philbert

  • Ruth
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29, 2013

      Forwarding to group as accidentally sent offlist:

      Thanks, Lyn.  It just feels odd - there's nothing at all visibly wrong with Philbert and he shows no signs of being a sick cat.  He still dashes about, ambushes my 14yo cat and gets cuffed in return, and raids the kitchen whenever I forget to close the door :-)  So to be talking about monitoring his breathing and possibly more meds is pretty scary stuff.

      Can you, or anyone else, tell me what the meds (benazepril) are doing for him? Presumably there is no cure, or he wouldn't be taking them for life, and it looks like others have had to increase the doses, so they don't necessarily keep the condition at the level it is?

      And what does CoQ10 do?

      The person who recommended this forum to me said there would be people here who could direct me to websites to get medication more cheaply; can anyone recommend such UK sites please?

      Thanks,
      Ruth

      On 29 September 2013 11:59, <elfinmyst@...> wrote:

      Hello Ruth,

      I am sorry to hear Philbert is sick. Thickened left side muscles  means there is some HCM which causes thickening of the heart muscles. It is vital he has a thyroid check as hyperthyroid can cause secondary HCM, so that's just a blood test.

      Benazepril is a great drug for my kitties. There are other drugs he could take like vetmedin and atenolol if needed. You can also look into adding CoQ10 at 30mg as well to help his heart.

      You now need to learn breathing rates. Keep an eye on breaths per minute and change of breathing style, like deeper breaths and doubles. Find out what is normal and then you will see if there are changes.  If this happens it is a warning of fluid build up. Over 30 is caution and over 40 emergency. This is breathing at rest, when he is totally relaxed.

      Also he is at increased risk of bloodclot. Ask your vet does he need plavix or you can research the nattokinase files here. All my HCM cats have plavix.

      Give food to the hungry at no cost to yourself: http://www.thehungersite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=1
      Why not set it as your home page and click every day?

      *****
      Ride your horse along the edge of a sword; hide yourself in the middle of flames...
      .Zen saying.

      --
      Give food to the hungry at no cost to yourself: http://www.thehungersite.com/clickToGive/home.faces?siteId=1
      Why not set it as your home page and click every day?

      *****
      Ride your horse along the edge of a sword; hide yourself in the middle of flames...
      .Zen saying.
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 29, 2013
        My reply.. for group in case it offers help to others as well:)

        Hi Ruth

        When you get an Email from the forum, you need to click the 'send to group' option at the bottom or it just goes to the sender:) I cant help you with cheaper meds because we are in the UK and it has to go through the vet. Importing medicines can be cheaper, but you need a vet prescription for that too.

        Please don't be scared. HCM is a progressive condition, it doesn't get better. BUT it can be slowed down, even for years and years. And that is why the medicine is so vital. The benazepril (fortekor) helps the heart to pump more efficiently so it slows down the damage rate. As the condition gets worse, they increase the dose or add another medication.

        My Trixi was diagnosed at 3 months old. She was given 2 months to live. She started meds and responded well and reached her 7th birthday this year. Trixi also had a heart attack and was given 'no chance' but we trialled a drug called Vetmedin as there was nothing to lose. And here she is:)

        You might not believe this but your Philbert is lucky. He was caught early before heart failure. So many are diagnosed at the end stage, but Philbert now has his meds to slow this down. My Josh started meds at age 12 and is 17 next year. CoQ10 helps the heart to function, most of us give 30mg from the health food shop, it's a supplement. (Holland and Barrettt/Boots) BUT if you start it, you cant stop suddenly or the heart gets quite a shock and that's dangerous, so if you start it you need to ensure the hospital give it if he is ever hospitalised. Mine have been on CoQ10 for over 7 years.

        I hope that helps:)  Remember, he doesn't know he's ill. Heart kitties are special and only pick the best people

        Lyn.