Re: Penny and Mystra--High BP, Heart Murmur, and CKD

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 29 4:07 AM
      Hi Penny

      I am sorry to hear about Mystra. She was awfully young to have kidney disease, and is clearly a survivor.  It is absolutely vital she has an ultrasound scan with a cardiologist. The BMP test is only a small indicator of heart problems, the ultrasound sees the heart in 3D and gives an exact diagnosis.

      That blood pressure is off the scale! Unfortunately they hide it so well and then it causes a retinal bleed and blinds them as happened to my Tom. The amlodipine and benazepril will help all three issues, kkidney, heart and blood pressure. It is also possible the high blood pressure is straining the kidneys too, forcing protein into the urine. It's good you got it under control.

      I would definitely increase amlodipine if needed. Tom has 1/4 twice a day now but also had to increase when it got worse.

      My recommendation, see a qualified cardiologist and have the heart scan. The heart may be the main problem and need treating. Also, ask about plavix, to prevent clots and strokes, especially with the high BP.

      Something you can do immediately.. count breahts.

      Count breaths per minute and watch the breathing , you are looking for a change from normal like deeper breaths and doubles or open mouth breathing. If this happens it is a warning of fluid build up. Over 30 is caution and over 40 emergency. This is breathing at REST, when he is totally relaxed. He must be sleepy when counted.