My Cat Philbert

  • The Autiste formerly known as Genyin
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2013
      Hello, I'm new here.

      My Asian cat Philbert is 9yo and just been diagnosed with heart problems.  He wasn't supposed to survive as a kitten due to heart problems but it appeared to sort itself out and he was able to be neutered late, and nothing has shown as unusual until now.  At a routine check up the vet detected a heart murmur and advised a scan to check it out. This took place on Tuesday.  She said his resting heart rate is fine, his thyroid is a little enlarged but he shows no signs of thyroid problems, but that there is thickening of the muscle on the left side of his heart.

      He's to take 2.5mg benazepril hydrochloride every day, which he's happily munching down with a bit of tuna.  She said he'll need this for the rest of his life.

      He has no symptoms of pain or breathlessness, or anything unusual for him.

      I'm looking for any information at all to help me know what's going on, what I can do for him, anything to look out for, whatever might help.

      Thanks,
      Ruth (in Yorkshire in the UK)
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 29, 2013

        Hello Ruth,

        I am sorry to hear Philbert is sick. Thickened left side muscles  means there is some HCM which causes thickening of the heart muscles. It is vital he has a thyroid check as hyperthyroid can cause secondary HCM, so that's just a blood test.

        Benazepril is a great drug for my kitties. There are other drugs he could take like vetmedin and atenolol if needed. You can also look into adding CoQ10 at 30mg as well to help his heart.

        You now need to learn breathing rates. Keep an eye on breaths per minute and change of breathing style, like deeper breaths and doubles. Find out what is normal and then you will see if there are changes.  If this happens it is a warning of fluid build up. Over 30 is caution and over 40 emergency. This is breathing at rest, when he is totally relaxed.

        Also he is at increased risk of bloodclot. Ask your vet does he need plavix or you can research the nattokinase files here. All my HCM cats have plavix.