Is Lysine ok to use?

  • bspringsted425
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 18, 2013
      Just a quick question. I have 11 cats in the house and most of them seem to have the herpes virus that causes URIs. Every now and then they get flare-ups, which essentially means the whole house is sneezing and has goopy eyes. Usually, they fight it off themselves but on rare occasions I've had to get antibiotics for them. When my first one was diagnosed I was told to use Lysine, which I have done for years now. I have lysine treats and I also put the powder in their drinking water. I was just about to add some to their water, when I stopped and realized that I should probably make sure that it won't have a bad effect on a heart cat. As far as I know, its a pretty harmless supplement. The dosage for the drinking water doesn't have to be an exact amount, which makes me think that it's rarely harmful if you don't even have to be absolutely sure of the specific measurement of the amount you use. But I know that while some supplements are harmless to healthy cats, that might not be the case for unhealthy ones. So does anyone know offhand if I can use the lysine powder in the water without it harming Wendy? She's actually sniffling and sneezing too and the vet just gave me antibiotics for her in case it gets worse. She's being cautious because she doesn't want to risk her getting any sicker. Of course, I didn't think to ask the vet about the lysine when I was there the other day. And now they are only open for emergency appointments and asking "Can I put Lysine in her water?" doesn't really constitute and emergency to call for in my mind. So I figured I'd check here quickly to see if anyone knows. Maybe I'm being overly paranoid but I wanted to make sure!

      Brooke
    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 18, 2013
        Lysine is safe for heart kitties, my Tigger has been on it as long as he's been on atenolol, 9 years.  The problem with the water plan is that none of your kitties will get enough lysine to make a difference in their herpes.  Each kitty needs 500 mg twice a day to keep herpes under control most of the time.  (They will still get occasional short-term outbreaks when stressed.)  There is no way any of your kitties will drink enough water to get that kind of a dose. And some probably don't drink at all.  With 11 cats, the only way I think you could ensure that each kitty gets enough lysine to really work is to give them pills. Or there is a paste that I've heard they love the taste of -- that would work as well.  Ask your vet about that. I mix Tigger's in his food.  but this would require you to feed each of your kitties in a separate bowl, with their lysine mixed into a serving of canned food....
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 18, 2013
          hi Brooke,

          The problem with putting it in the water is that it loses it's potency over time and you don't know how much they're actually getting. For treating URI's the cats needs get a full dose (250 to 500mg twice daily). When I first treat, I give the max dose of 500mg twice a day, for about 4 days, the go down to the maintenance dose of 250mg twice a day. The best way to get it into them is to put the full dose in a small portion of canned food, just enough to make sure they eat it all. It doesn't have much flavor, so they shouldn't mind it.

          I've been giving Lysine to our 22yr old Misty, heart kitty, for years with no problems.

          Carol
          Another thing you can do for the URI's is give colloidal silver and nebulize them with colloidal silver. I've been doing this for years. I learned about it on the Silverpets group.

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "bspringsted425" <bspringsted425@...> wrote:

          > Just a quick question. I have 11 cats in the house and most of them seem to have the herpes virus that causes URIs. Every now and then they get flare-ups, which essentially means the whole house is sneezing and has goopy eyes. Usually, they fight it off themselves but on rare occasions I've had to get antibiotics for them. When my first one was diagnosed I was told to use Lysine, which I have done for years now. I have lysine treats and I also put the powder in their drinking water. I was just about to add some to their water, when I stopped and realized that I should probably make sure that it won't have a bad effect on a heart cat. As far as I know, its a pretty harmless supplement. The dosage for the drinking water doesn't have to be an exact amount, which makes me think that it's rarely harmful if you don't even have to be absolutely sure of the specific measurement of the amount you use. But I know that while some supplements are harmless to healthy cats, that might not be the case for unhealthy ones. So does anyone know offhand if I can use the lysine powder in the water without it harming Wendy? She's actually sniffling and sneezing too and the vet just gave me antibiotics for her in case it gets worse. She's being cautious because she doesn't want to risk her getting any sicker. Of course, I didn't think to ask the vet about the lysine when I was there the other day. And now they are only open for emergency appointments and asking "Can I put Lysine in her water?" doesn't really constitute and emergency to call for in my mind. So I figured I'd check here quickly to see if anyone knows. Maybe I'm being overly paranoid but I wanted to make sure!
          >
          > Brooke

        • elfinmyst
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 19, 2013
            Hi

            Arthur had lysine and his herpes cleared up 4 years ago and hasn't come back since then/  We used Enosyl paste which you just squeeze one dose onto the paw and they love it. It's ready dosed, one squeeze or two is the right amount.

            Also I just bought a bottle of colloidal silver for Gus and his pseudomonas. We're trying the antibiotic injections daily for 10 day first ad that doesn't work an inhaled version mixed with the silver.:)

            Lyn

          • bspringsted425
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 19, 2013
              Thanks everyone. As for the water - I know it's not enough to be a full dose. We give them the lysine treats for that. I don't know the brand of them offhand since I dumped them into an airtight container and threw away the package once they were open (and I always buy them from the vet and honestly never paid attention to the actual name of them) but 10 treats is 500mg of Lysine so that is how they've always gotten their full dose. Its more expensive than just putting the powder in their food but for something that seems to have no taste, my picky cats always know its there and shun the food. We tried the paste too but they won't eat that either. Our vet had told me to put it on their nose if they wouldn't eat it themselves because they would be forced to clean their nose then. But the result was that they sat there with paste on their nose staring at me like they were thinking "Human you're pretty stupid if you think I"m going to lick that off my nose." Sooo...we go with the expensive treats that they love to eat instead.

              As for the water, it was never meant as a full dose. I was a member of another group years ago and many of the people there put it in the water just as a preventative small dose. Basically just so they get a little into their systems all the time. Who knows if it actually helps, but it's never done any harm so I've continued to do it. I mainly just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't harm a cat with heart issues. I appreciate all the responses! :-)

              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "bspringsted425" <bspringsted425@...> wrote:

              > Just a quick question. I have 11 cats in the house and most of them seem to have the herpes virus that causes URIs. Every now and then they get flare-ups, which essentially means the whole house is sneezing and has goopy eyes. Usually, they fight it off themselves but on rare occasions I've had to get antibiotics for them. When my first one was diagnosed I was told to use Lysine, which I have done for years now. I have lysine treats and I also put the powder in their drinking water. I was just about to add some to their water, when I stopped and realized that I should probably make sure that it won't have a bad effect on a heart cat. As far as I know, its a pretty harmless supplement. The dosage for the drinking water doesn't have to be an exact amount, which makes me think that it's rarely harmful if you don't even have to be absolutely sure of the specific measurement of the amount you use. But I know that while some supplements are harmless to healthy cats, that might not be the case for unhealthy ones. So does anyone know offhand if I can use the lysine powder in the water without it harming Wendy? She's actually sniffling and sneezing too and the vet just gave me antibiotics for her in case it gets worse. She's being cautious because she doesn't want to risk her getting any sicker. Of course, I didn't think to ask the vet about the lysine when I was there the other day. And now they are only open for emergency appointments and asking "Can I put Lysine in her water?" doesn't really constitute and emergency to call for in my mind. So I figured I'd check here quickly to see if anyone knows. Maybe I'm being overly paranoid but I wanted to make sure!
              >
              > Brooke

            • r schu
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 2, 2013
                How does one tell if a cat has herpes?  What do the flare ups look like?  I'm wondering about May, and if so, perhaps lysine would help her.  Of course we need a definitive diagnosis first.

                Thank you.

                -Lee and May

              • Leigh Arrathoon

                  Message 8 of 10 , Oct 2, 2013
                    Hi Lee

                    The test is a swab and done at the vet, it's quick and easy. If positive, I would highly recommend Lysine. Arthue took it for 7 months and it seems to have cleared up since. We used Enisyl , a paste which you squirt on the paw and he loved it.

                    Lyn

                  • bspringsted425
                    Message 9 of 10 , Oct 2, 2013
                      Hi Lee-
                      Herpes manifests in the form of a Upper Respiratory Infection. Basically, runny/goopy eyes, sneezing, sniffling, occasionally coughing (one of mine always coughs when she has a flare up, the others don't.) Some cats have flare ups often. Some never do after initial treatment. And some react to stress. In my house, it always seems like stress causes the flare ups. Any time we're getting ready for vacation, or when one cat is sick and they can sense that I'm stressed out - stuff like that - suddenly it flares up.

                      Lyn is right that you can get a definitive diagnosis from a swab at the vet, but Lysine won't hurt any that don't have it, so you could still give it to yours even without a definitive diagnosis. I was worried about my heart cat because I didn't know if the lysine would have an effect on the heart, but for healthy kitties (and now I know its ok for heart cats too) it is perfectly fine to give. For mine, their main source of Lysine is in treat form. I couldn't remember what the treats were called the last time I posted, but I've since bought more and they are called Enisyl-F Lysine Treats for Cats. You can buy them on Amazon. They're pretty expensive but my picky cats completely rejected the gel/paste and the powder. When I put the supposedly tasteless powder in their food, they always know its there and then refuse to eat. If I put the powder in their water they don't notice, but they also don't get a full dose this way. But as far as it being safe for your cats, all of mine take it because it's impossible to NOT give all of them the treats. I shake the treat bag and everyone - herpes or not - comes running. The vet said it's perfectly fine for everyone and acts as a preventative for the ones who haven't picked up the herpes virus yet (though they probably never will since they have been exposed to my herd for a while so some of them seem to have an immunity to it).

                      Brooke
                    • bspringsted425
                      Message 10 of 10 , Oct 2, 2013
                        And just to be clear, I wasn't saying DON'T get a definitive diagnosis. In my opinion you always want that! I was just saying that it won't hurt a cat without a definitive diagnosis :-).