Re: Thoughts/Opinions on Plavix?

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 17, 2013
      Hi

      I have 6 cats with HCM and one girl with heart deformities and currently all 6 take plavix. Two were offered it and the others I asked for it and the cardiologist agreed it would do no harm. If it reduces the risk even a small amount, it's worth it for me. The other alternative is Nattokinase which dissolves clots and is a food enzyme. There are no studies on that in cats, but Josh took it for a long number of years. Trixi had a clot 4 years ago to her heart and hasn't had one since.

      Plavix is expensive. I use clopidogrel (generic plavix) Its available in Canada and UK. I agree with the others, its a horrible taste and must be in a gel cap unless you get greedy cats like mine who scoff pills wrapped in chicken.

      Lyn
    • Laurie Stead
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 18, 2013
        Hi Brooke -

        Boo was put on Plavix from day one as a preventative. She has never thrown a clot (thank goodness!) but the cardiologist felt Plavix would indeed help her to avoid the possibility although it is not full-proof.

        Hope in some way that helps.

        Laurie

        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 2, 2013
          Brooke,

          May has been on Plavix since February this year.  It doesn't seem to have affected her appetite and as far as I can tell, no clots.  She has HCM and since Feb had one build up of fluid in and around lings in summer, so potential for clotting as the fluid gets backed up in the heart.

          Good luck!

          -Lee and May
        • elfinmyst
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 2, 2013
            Hi

            All my heart cats take this drug and have for years without side effects or problems.