RE: [FH] Thoughts/Opinions on Plavix?

  • Cheryl
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 17, 2013
      Hi Brooke,
      My Vizzy had severe RCM when he was diagnosed. He was put on Plavix (1/4
      tab every 3 days), Lasix, Enalapril, and Atenolol. I can't remember the
      doses of the other three off the top of my head. He also had no signs of
      clots, but his heart was in a very irregular rhythm on diagnosis. Irregular
      rhythms of any kind are more prone to throw clots, and his was very scary to
      hear.

      Vizzy was diagnosed in May, 2009. He died suddenly in January, 2010. He
      had been fine the night before and I believe a clot was his most likely
      cause of death. I admit it was too difficult at the time for me to do a
      necropsy, so I don't know for sure. That being said, I am a human cardiac
      critical care nurse, and he died right beside my bed. Based on what he
      looked like and the fact that we heard no signs of distress, I think it was
      sudden, which would be typical of a clot that blocked a major heart vessel
      or went to his brain. I am a light sleeper, and I would have woken up (I
      think) if I had heard him in distress.

      I can't say if the Plavix worked or not. I only had 8 months with my
      beautiful boy after his diagnosis, but if Plavix helped me get those 8
      months, I would give it again without question. If Wendy has an irregular
      heartbeat, I think Plavix would be worth a shot.

      Cheryl

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 17, 2013
        Brooke,

        My Sheba has unclassified cardiomyopathy and started Plavix approximately 6 months ago . . .for which I am grateful.

        I lost another persian cat to  saddle thrombosis (clot) many many years ago never even know he had heart disease.    We had to put him down immediately.    His hind limbs were useless and he was in severe pain.

        I NEVER want to watch a kitty endure that if there is anything I can do to avoid it.  Plavix reduces that risk.  It is NOT a guarantee, but its benefits far outweigh the risks.

        I would recommend you use gelcaps if you are not already.    i place Sheba's Plavix in a gel cap with any other meds she may need that day.    I mold a pill pocket around the gelcap contining her pills, and she gobbles them up - none the wiser.   In fact, she thinks it is treat time and ususally runs for it!!    LOL    :)   (She also had feline asthma so I cannot manually pill her as it can trigger an asthma attack)

        Having said all that, I should mention that Plavix is very bitter so a gelcap would also preventing foaming at the mouth.    This never happened with my girl, but there were occassions when she would vomit 15-30 minutes after getting Plavix as it CAN cause GI upset.
        Since using gelcaps, this has not happened as much.

        Good luck,

        Jordan and Sheba

      • elfinmyst
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 17, 2013
          Hi

          I have 6 cats with HCM and one girl with heart deformities and currently all 6 take plavix. Two were offered it and the others I asked for it and the cardiologist agreed it would do no harm. If it reduces the risk even a small amount, it's worth it for me. The other alternative is Nattokinase which dissolves clots and is a food enzyme. There are no studies on that in cats, but Josh took it for a long number of years. Trixi had a clot 4 years ago to her heart and hasn't had one since.

          Plavix is expensive. I use clopidogrel (generic plavix) Its available in Canada and UK. I agree with the others, its a horrible taste and must be in a gel cap unless you get greedy cats like mine who scoff pills wrapped in chicken.

          Lyn
        • Laurie Stead
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 18, 2013
            Hi Brooke -

            Boo was put on Plavix from day one as a preventative. She has never thrown a clot (thank goodness!) but the cardiologist felt Plavix would indeed help her to avoid the possibility although it is not full-proof.

            Hope in some way that helps.

            Laurie

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 2, 2013
              Brooke,

              May has been on Plavix since February this year.  It doesn't seem to have affected her appetite and as far as I can tell, no clots.  She has HCM and since Feb had one build up of fluid in and around lings in summer, so potential for clotting as the fluid gets backed up in the heart.

              Good luck!

              -Lee and May
            • elfinmyst
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 2, 2013
                Hi

                All my heart cats take this drug and have for years without side effects or problems.