Thoughts/Opinions on Plavix?

  • bspringsted425
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 16 2:29 PM
      I am interested to hear your thoughts and opinions on Plavix.

      Wendy went for her one month re-check appointment today and seems to be doing well! The vet I use is part of a large animal hospital with a large staff so I rarely see the same vet tech each time we go, but this time I had the same tech who was there when I initially took Wendy in for her emergency appointment (luckily our emergency vet is also our regular vet) a month ago. She remembered her and seemed surprised that she was still doing well. I mentioned that initially I was afraid we wouldn't be at this appointment because I didn't expect her to live that long, and she agreed, just based on how bad she was the night I first took her in. I feel like I'm going to jinx it if I get too excited but I was happy to see both the vet and the vet tech surprised, yet happy that Wendy was still here!

      As for my question: I've been reading through this group ever since that horrible night a month ago and see that many of you have your cat on Plavix to prevent clotting. Wendy hasn't thrown a clot yet and the vet said she isn't showing signs that she is going to (other than the obvious fact that she has heart disease). But through my own research, I have found a lot of info that says that cats with RCM are more likely to throw a clot than a cat with HCM, though both are at risk. If this is true, then Wendy is at a slightly higher risk since she has RCM.

      She wasn't on any anti-clotting or blood thinning medicine, but I asked the vet about it today. I wanted to put her on it as a preventative if it wouldn't harm her to do so. The vet said that we can definitely put her on it, but that there isn't a lot of documented evidence that it DOES help in the event of a clot. She said it won't harm her at all to give it to her, so basically, it can only help, but that I shouldn't rely on it and that I should know that the chance of a clot is still there. And research shows that the likelihood of her getting a clot is still the same on or off the Plavix. She did point out that this is only information in the research that this particular animal hospital has studied and that I should know that just because the research doesn't show that it works well, doesn't mean that it doesn't work. It just means its not there in black and white documented on paper.

      So I'm wondering if I should go ahead and give her the Plavix or just keep her on the meds that she is already on without adding anything. She's not very good about taking medicine and since I've been shoving pills down her throat and squirting liquid into her mouth three times a day for the last month, she's starting to get even more difficult. She's a smart cat and she clearly knows what time she gets the medicine because she runs away from me the moment she sees me coming near her at those times, even if she can't see the medicine. At any other time of day she's glued to my side, but at 7am, 3pm and 11pm she runs away! I just don't want to stress her out more by adding another pill BUT if its good for her to take it then I will.

      I'm curious about personal experiences because while this vet/hospital has never given us any reason to doubt them, they are a very textbook oriented hospital. I'm not sure how else to describe it. They listen to personal experiences and are glad to share personal experiences with other clients, but when it comes to giving out the facts, they stick with what they can verify and back up through documented research. So based on that I'm inclined to think that the Plavix is a good thing, they just can't verify that via documented evidence.

      Any thoughts? Sorry for rambling...I just wanted to be clear as to why I'm questioning what the vet said and looking for personal experiences instead.

      Brooke
    • bspringsted425

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 17 12:15 PM
          Hi Brooke,
          My Vizzy had severe RCM when he was diagnosed. He was put on Plavix (1/4
          tab every 3 days), Lasix, Enalapril, and Atenolol. I can't remember the
          doses of the other three off the top of my head. He also had no signs of
          clots, but his heart was in a very irregular rhythm on diagnosis. Irregular
          rhythms of any kind are more prone to throw clots, and his was very scary to
          hear.

          Vizzy was diagnosed in May, 2009. He died suddenly in January, 2010. He
          had been fine the night before and I believe a clot was his most likely
          cause of death. I admit it was too difficult at the time for me to do a
          necropsy, so I don't know for sure. That being said, I am a human cardiac
          critical care nurse, and he died right beside my bed. Based on what he
          looked like and the fact that we heard no signs of distress, I think it was
          sudden, which would be typical of a clot that blocked a major heart vessel
          or went to his brain. I am a light sleeper, and I would have woken up (I
          think) if I had heard him in distress.

          I can't say if the Plavix worked or not. I only had 8 months with my
          beautiful boy after his diagnosis, but if Plavix helped me get those 8
          months, I would give it again without question. If Wendy has an irregular
          heartbeat, I think Plavix would be worth a shot.

          Cheryl

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 17 1:29 PM
            Brooke,

            My Sheba has unclassified cardiomyopathy and started Plavix approximately 6 months ago . . .for which I am grateful.

            I lost another persian cat to  saddle thrombosis (clot) many many years ago never even know he had heart disease.    We had to put him down immediately.    His hind limbs were useless and he was in severe pain.

            I NEVER want to watch a kitty endure that if there is anything I can do to avoid it.  Plavix reduces that risk.  It is NOT a guarantee, but its benefits far outweigh the risks.

            I would recommend you use gelcaps if you are not already.    i place Sheba's Plavix in a gel cap with any other meds she may need that day.    I mold a pill pocket around the gelcap contining her pills, and she gobbles them up - none the wiser.   In fact, she thinks it is treat time and ususally runs for it!!    LOL    :)   (She also had feline asthma so I cannot manually pill her as it can trigger an asthma attack)

            Having said all that, I should mention that Plavix is very bitter so a gelcap would also preventing foaming at the mouth.    This never happened with my girl, but there were occassions when she would vomit 15-30 minutes after getting Plavix as it CAN cause GI upset.
            Since using gelcaps, this has not happened as much.

            Good luck,

            Jordan and Sheba

          • elfinmyst
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 17 1:59 PM
              Hi

              I have 6 cats with HCM and one girl with heart deformities and currently all 6 take plavix. Two were offered it and the others I asked for it and the cardiologist agreed it would do no harm. If it reduces the risk even a small amount, it's worth it for me. The other alternative is Nattokinase which dissolves clots and is a food enzyme. There are no studies on that in cats, but Josh took it for a long number of years. Trixi had a clot 4 years ago to her heart and hasn't had one since.

              Plavix is expensive. I use clopidogrel (generic plavix) Its available in Canada and UK. I agree with the others, its a horrible taste and must be in a gel cap unless you get greedy cats like mine who scoff pills wrapped in chicken.

              Lyn
            • Laurie Stead
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 18 6:49 PM
                Hi Brooke -

                Boo was put on Plavix from day one as a preventative. She has never thrown a clot (thank goodness!) but the cardiologist felt Plavix would indeed help her to avoid the possibility although it is not full-proof.

                Hope in some way that helps.

                Laurie

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 2, 2013
                  Brooke,

                  May has been on Plavix since February this year.  It doesn't seem to have affected her appetite and as far as I can tell, no clots.  She has HCM and since Feb had one build up of fluid in and around lings in summer, so potential for clotting as the fluid gets backed up in the heart.

                  Good luck!

                  -Lee and May
                • elfinmyst
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 2, 2013
                    Hi

                    All my heart cats take this drug and have for years without side effects or problems.