No close cardiologist

  • Cindi
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 15, 2013
      In my area the closest cardiologist, is over 2 hrs away.  I have a Sphynx with a heart murmur but no signs of disease.  What do members do when their heart kitty's need care and a cardiologist is far away?  If I see a cardiologist it will be an all day trip which is added stress for the cat and not good if he develops disease/symptoms at a future date. If I see a local general vet my cat will not get the best care of of a vet trained in cardiology.

      What do others on this group do in similiar situations?

      Cindi
    • Debbie Loffredo
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 15, 2013
        Hi Cindi,
        When my cat, which was a 13yr old ragdoll in chf who we had just treated for liver disease, needed an echo the local referral clinic with just an internist (who probably doesn't see many heart cat) wanted $700-1500.  An 1-1/2 hours away (major city) Board certified cardiologist $350.  The local place wanted to have him all day (drop off in the am & pick up in pm).  At the cardiologist, they put him on oxygen after one of the interns took the basic info and looked him over  and from that point the echo was done and Doctor went over it with me and the treatment plan and was on our way in an hour.  Now we did wait an hour or so in the waiting area,  but they were fitting us in as an "emergency" case.
        I had my father go with me and drive and I sat in the back with the cat which I think really helped.  The vet offered to give me something for the ride home.  This cat's hcm was better severe at this point.  He never had any symptom until the liver troubles and the (drumroll) steroids.

        The cardiologist can work with your regular vet on a follow up plan.  The one we saw was lovely with consulting when the liver issue returned 4 months later and we were attempting to balance treatment.

        I am so glad that I went for the cardiologist.  I was shocked at how well the cat did with the trip (the only problem was we didn’t quite make it home before the lasix injection kicked in --- poor guy-- Glad I had him a nice big comfy towel in his carrier.

        Deb and Angel Cat-man

        In my area the closest cardiologist, is over 2 hrs away.  I have a Sphynx with a heart murmur but no signs of disease.  What do members do when their heart kitty's need care and a cardiologist is far away?  If I see a cardiologist it will be an all day trip which is added stress for the cat and not good if he develops disease/symptoms at a future date. If I see a local general vet my cat will not get the best care of of a vet trained in cardiology.

        What do others on this group do in similiar situations?

        Cindi
      • marianna.mayer
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 15, 2013
          Dear Debbie,
          That's the best cardio group to date! One heck of a great cardio group. Who and where? Please share contact info. Others on the list may be in the general vicinity.
          TIA
           Marianna

          In my area the closest cardiologist, is over 2 hrs away.  I have a Sphynx with a heart murmur but no signs of disease.  What do members do when their heart kitty's need care and a cardiologist is far away?  If I see a cardiologist it will be an all day trip which is added stress for the cat and not good if he develops disease/symptoms at a future date. If I see a local general vet my cat will not get the best care of of a vet trained in cardiology.

          What do others on this group do in similiar situations?

          Cindi
        • elfinmyst
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 15, 2013
            Hi

            The most important thing of all is a good diagnosis. I think that is vital to know for the right treatment and help. My cardiologist is an hour away and all the cats go there. In an emergency it's my own vet for the immediate frucimide and oxygen but if they have a diagnosis they know what to do and can ring the cardiologist too for advice or send them there once they are stable.

            Lyn

          • Carol
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 16, 2013

              hi Cindi,

              For years we didn't have a cardiologist close by either, and what we did was found an internal medicine veterinarian who had a special interest in heart problems.  Our internist would do Misty's heart ultrasound and all her heart tests.  Then when we finally did get a cardiologist here locally, we went to him once and he told us after looking at Misty's records from our internist, that he had nothing to add to her diagnosis and treatment.  We got very lucky to find an internist who was so good.

              Carol