Re: [FH] Re: Heart murmur

  • Leigh Arrathoon
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 14, 2013
      Dear Deb,
          My two Maine Coons each have one gene for HCM. The older one came to me at 12 weeks with a grade 3 heart murmur. I took him to a wonderful cardiologist, who gave him an ultrasound and told me she thought the blood was bouncing off an extra piece of flesh that didn't belong there. This went on until he was four years old, when, due to the death of one of my cats, he became extremely upset, and the murmur went up to a 4! My whole church prayed for him during those years, and I always gave him CoQ10 + mitochondrial support, Vitamin  E (d'alpha tocopherols), Omega 3, etc. I last time I took him to the Cardiologist, the murmur had disappeared completely, because, she explained, the extra ligament had broken. So, while murmurs can certainly come from serious causes, it just might not be something so horrible.

          Wishing you the best.
          Leigh

      On Sat, Sep 14, 2013 at 12:32 PM, <elfinmyst@...> wrote:

      Hello Deb

      A grade 2-4 murmur is almost always serious. Kitten benign murmurs are rarely beyond level 2 and most cats grow out of them by age 9 months. I have two cats diagnosed as kittens and both had serious disease and a grade 4 murmur. Both were diagnosed by ultrasound at 12 weeks and have a lot of medications. One was given 2 years to live and one was given 2 months. Both refused to listen:)

      A grade2 murmur  can be a number of things and all must be diagnosed by an ultrasound scan.

      A grade 1/2 murmur may be something I call a 'flappy valve' which my Selkirk girl has and is caused by turbulence in a slightly malformed heart valve. Tjis isn't so serious and doesn't need treatment and won't affect life span.

      Your cat may have HCM or it could be a congenital heart disease, my Milli had a grade 4 and she has two holes in her heart and the valves formed badly. Maxi had a grade 1-2 and has HCM and congenital problems too. There are other heart disorders too, but the ultrasound is extremely important to diagnose and get the best treatment. I urge you to get one as soon as possible.

      HCM is inherited so a sibling would have a 50% chance of the disorder. Heart defects can be a developmental fault or inherited. Once you get the ultrasound results, treatment can begin as needed.

      Lyn.

    • Jordan
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 14, 2013
        My Sheba (himalayan) has unclassified cardiomyopathy.    She is asymptomatic but is on Plavix to reduce the risk of throwing a clot (saddle thombosis).

        Hugs and kitty kisses,

        Jordan and Sheba
      • Jordan
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 15, 2013
          It can be.  But I think this can also happen if there is not a genetic component.
          Lyn - is that correct??

          Kitty kisses,
          Jordan and Sheba