Re: Elvis in dire straits :(

  • Anastasia Tajik
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 11, 2013
      Hi everyone,

      I think something might be going on with the Yahoo groups. I tried replying to this a couple of times, but my post wasn't showing up (or maybe I was doing something wrong, not sure). Anyway, I'll try one more time.

      Thank you so much to all who responded! Fantastic tips and suggestions!

      Elvis just went through the E-tube procedure, and is currently recovering from anesthesia. I will keep in mind all the suggestions here, while he is on his road to recovery. And thanks for the link to the assisted feeding group, Mary!

      Hugs to all of you and your fur babies!
      --
      ~ Anastasia
    • Jordan
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 12, 2013
        Great news Anatasia!!   I wish Elvis continued recooperation.      I think you did the right thing.     Your boy can now get the food he needs and this will make giving meds much easier too.

        BTW, my Sheba has feline asthma and unclassified cardiomyopathy and she needed emergency surgery too last November.   I had to make the decision in a hour!!!!  If she did not have two corneal grafts both eyes would have ruptured!!     All I could do was give the vet the anesthesia protocol from her cardiologist, tell her a love her and say  a prayer for my girl.

        I am pleased to say Sheba made it through surgery without a hitch and recoved slowly but surely.   I do not regret it for a minute!!

        Heart kitties CAN survive surgery.    It just is not easily recommended.

        Hugs and kitty kisses,

        Jordan and Sheba
      • Anastasia Tajik
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 13, 2013
          Thank you so much for well wishes and comments, everyone!

          A quick update on Elvis: he did very well with anesthesia - no complications - and we brought him back home with the e-tube last night. The facility that's treating him actually sent him home with the Kitty Kollar (and we ordered a couple more - thanks, Carol!), food, a demonstration, and thorough instructions on feeding.

          He is still really weak from going without food for so long, plus he has some kind of upper-respiratory thing going on (nose seems stuffed, but no discharge). But overall he seems comfortable with the feedings, and happy to be at home! We're very optimistic that we can get him over the "food strike" soon with the help of e-tube.

          Jordan, glad to hear Sheba's surgery turned out well! It's a tough call to make.

          Jenny, Elvis is not showing any other signs of nausea, other than turning away food, although, we can't rule anything out, of course. He is on mirtazapine, which is supposed to have some anti-nausea properties, but like I said - he hasn't been showing any signs of nausea (no vomiting, licking, lip-smacking, or swallowing).

          Again, really appreciate all the feedback! All the best to you and your furry ones!
          --
          ~ Anastasia
        • Cindi
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 14, 2013
            For what it's worth from a human perspective - my Mom could not eat well after side effects from 2 years of chemo.  She had a PEG feeding tube put it and it worked wonders by providing the nutrition she needed.  I hope the same happens for Elvis.  She liked it and it was used for meds too.  For meds you have to crush the pills and be careful not to clog the tube.  Be careful with it since it can become dislodged.  That happened to her one time and she had to have surgery to properly place it again.

            Cindi missing the touch of Ditto
            There she was, elegant, beautiful, swathed in the shiniest of clinging silks, a vision of loveliness in coffee and cream --- a Princess from Bangkok, an Oriental Goddess, a Queen on her throne --- a Siamese cat!
            from May Eustace's Cats in Clover

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 14, 2013
              Great news Anatasia!!    GO ELVIS!!    Heart kitties CAN survive surgeries when absolutely necessary!     Wonderful news.   I love it.

              Hugs and kitty kisses,
              Jordan and Sheba
            • Anastasia Tajik
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 14, 2013
                Thank you, Jordan! :)

                And thank you for the ideas and the warning about clogged tubes, Cindi! We're definitely keeping an eye out for that, and crushing all the meds / blending the food.

                ~ Anastasia
              • nicole harris
                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 15, 2013
                  Hi Anastasia

                  I came on the board a few weeks ago for advice on my kitty tomcat who had just been diagnosed with hcm on presentation of saddle thrombus. I'd seen some of your messages about Elvis previously but couldn't get online for days.

                  Got Internet connection back finally and catching up on the board and saw your amazingly wonderful post on Elvis and him getting through his surgery! That is such good news and you must be soooo happy to have him home. I know that terrible feeling when you don't know whether your kitty is going to survive something or not. It's horrendous and I'm so glad to see your Elvis is recovering.

                  Sending you and Elvis kitty hugs :)

                  Nicole x x x

                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 17, 2013
                    Hi Nicole,

                    Thank you so much for the kind words!
                    We're super-happy to have Elvis back home! He is still weak, but slowly his strength and personality are coming back to him! :)

                    I'm also happy to hear that Tomcat made it through the thrombus incident. It is totally terrifying and shocking. Good luck to you and Tomcat! :)

                    --
                    Anastasia