UPDATE - Kitty with asthma, or heart disease or both

  • Gina Williams
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 9, 2013
      Hello everyone,

      I wanted to give an update on BB.  I have truly appreciated the feedback I did receive on my first email.

      BB saw the cardiologist last Thursday.  It was determined she has HCM and no signs of asthma.  What shocked me is she is about 2 years old and has moderate HCM like my 9 year old HCM, TJ.    The cardiologist let me see all the images that were taken of her.  This is the first time I've seen echo images.  She did have "smoke" on her echo.

      With the "smoke" she is on plavix, plus benzapril and lasix.  Cardio suggested reducing her lasix down from 6.25 mg 2X/day to 3.125 mg 2x/day and then maybe 6.25 mg 1x a day after the other medicine has had a chance to take effect.

      After leaving her appointment BB went into respiratory distress from to much stimuli (2 1/2 hour drive and 4 hours at clinic).  After leaving the appointment we sat in the parking lot with the car idling and a/c on.  I notified the veterinary hospital of the situation and the cardiologist came out to the parking lot to check on her.  Per suggestion I gave her a whole pill 12.5 mg.

      After about 30 minutes she had calmed and we could start the commute home.  However, the back seat of my car stinks!  She didn't always make the pee pad!  I am thinking about buying Fizzion to treat the smell.  Has anyone had any luck with this product?  Jackson Galaxy recommends it.

      I am so glad this group is here.  Thank you.  Gina
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 9, 2013
        Hi Gina

        Unfortunately young cats can get HCM, mine was diagnosed at 12 weeks. The benazepril will help a lot and mine usually reduce their lasix when they get more meds to help the heart. I would start the CoQ 10 and definitely practice your breath watching now.

        To get rid of cat urine, get one of the enzyme products like Urine Off.. it dissolves urea and turns it into harmless carbon dioxide. Works for me:)

        Question.. smoke on the Xray means heart yes? What do do-nuts mean? Gus had do-nuts on his Xray today.

        Lyn

      • Jordan
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 10, 2013
          Lyn,

          Donuts and tramlines on chest Xrays are the telltale signs of asthma on lung tissue.  My Sheba has feline asthma and this has been noted on her chest Xrays too.

          I would recommend the feline asthma group.  I HIGHLY recommend them.

          Please let me know if I can assist further.

          Hugs and kitty kisses to you and the furkids,
          Jordan and Sheba