RE: [FH] Question about breathing rates

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5, 2013
      Hi Brooke

      Yes, purring will increase the rate, any activity will. If she is 24 at rest, that's great news for her:)

      Lyn

    • Jordan
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 6, 2013
        Hi Brooke,

        Breathing rates (RRR) vary from kitty to kitty.   I think the important thing is to determine a baseline for your kitty.       Then if you see significant changes, it will tip you off to a potential problem.

        My Sheba's  standard rate has been around 30 from her first diagnosis.     Each time I count her breaths that is always the number I come up with (tho her cardiologist number is always lower).  The important thing is I know that if this number changes, it could suggest a problem.    I also watch for changes in her breathing (double breaths).   Her cardiologist said that her number would jump to 40 or 50 if she was in congestive heart failure (CHF).

        Once you get familiar with the RRR for your kitty, I think it will be much easier to detect a problem.

        Good luck
        Jordan and Sheba