Elvis just threw a clot and diagnosed with HCM

  • phpdiva
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 4, 2013
      Hi everyone,

      Our 8 y.o. Elvis suddenly lost control of one of his hind legs last night. We rushed him to emergency pet care, where they gave him pain killers and diagnosed him with saddle thrombus. The emergency vet also said she could hear a loud heart murmur (this is the first we heard about it).

      They recommended we transferred Elvis to a fully staffed intensive care facility, which we did. They gave him blood thinners, took more tests, and stabilized him overnight. The facility has a cardiologist, who examined Elvis this morning, and said he had a pretty advanced stage of HCM, with 3-6 months to live. He also listed a bunch of medications we will need to give Elvis.

      The good news, is that he is stabilized for now, only one of his limbs was affected, and he is starting to regain a little bit of function in it. They want to keep him in care for the rest of the day to monitor for any issues or reperfusion injury.

      I feel like we are in very good hands with the hospital and the cardiologist, but it's still so hard to cope with...

      I really feel for all of you who are going or have gone through this.
    • phpdiva

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 4, 2013
          Firstly, don't ever listen to anyone give you a timeline.  Many cats with advanced HCM have lived long lives. We had one who was 18 years old and lived almost a year with his HCM and congestive heart failure. I had another who was also 18 and she lived for 10 months after he diagnosis, and in both cases it wasn't their heart that took them, it was from kidney failure.

          Being on the right medications and adding in some supplements can greatly improve the chances of a longer life.  I would look into giving him CoQ10 ubiquinol (rather than ubiquinone, because ubiquinol is better absorbed). Some other supplements we give our heart kitties are DMG (dimethylglycine) and Nattokinase(used instead of other blood thinners).

          Carol, Misty and the gang

          Our 8 y.o. Elvis suddenly lost control of one of his hind legs last night. We rushed him to emergency pet care, where they gave him pain killers and diagnosed him with saddle thrombus. The emergency vet also said she could hear a loud heart murmur (this is the first we heard about it).

          They recommended we transferred Elvis to a fully staffed intensive care facility, which we did. They gave him blood thinners, took more tests, and stabilized him overnight. The facility has a cardiologist, who examined Elvis this morning, and said he had a pretty advanced stage of HCM, with 3-6 months to live. He also listed a bunch of medications we will need to give Elvis.

        • Anastasia Tajik
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 4, 2013
            Carol, thank you for the encouraging words and advice! Will definitely look into the supplements. Elvis is back at home, and seems to be in good spirits, considering.

            ~ Anastasia

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 5, 2013
              Hi

              That's good for Elvis that he recovered. He will definitely need something to prevent clots in future and well done for getting immediate treatment. He will also need to have a heart scan if he hasn't had one and medication for that. If his breathing rate changes he needs to be seen quickly.

              Lyn

            • phpdiva
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 5, 2013

                Thanks, Lyn!

                The cardiologist put him on two bloodthinners, plud Lasix, since he had a little bit of fluid in his lungs. He did have a heart scan, and according to the doc, his HCM is "severe", with significant thickening of the heart wall and some blood clots in his left atrium. He wants to deal with the current clot and lung fluid first, then we will take him in a week for a follow-up, and probably put him on beta-blockers for his heart.

                Now getting all those pills into him is another story... We're still experimenting.

                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, <elfinmyst@...> wrote:

                Hi

                That's good for Elvis that he recovered. He will definitely need something to prevent clots in future and well done for getting immediate treatment. He will also need to have a heart scan if he hasn't had one and medication for that. If his breathing rate changes he needs to be seen quickly.

                Lyn

              • Jordan
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 6, 2013
                  YAY Elvis!!!    He is a FIGHTER!!     And a SURVIVOR!!    Most kitties do not survive saddle thrombosis, but Elivs  DID!!    Do not listen to timelines.    Just love and enjoy him as always.

                  But we will keep him in our paw prayers.

                  Hugs and kitty kisses,
                  Jordan and Sheba
                • Anastasia Tajik
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 6, 2013
                    Thank you so much, Jordan (and Sheba)!

                    Elvis seems to be improving little by little: trying to walk on his hind foot, drinking, even attempting to play a but. But we're not out of the woods yet... Back with the doc today, since Elvis is refusing to eat anything, and trying to pill him is a disaster - just too traumatic for him.

                    They are checking his kidney function, and starting him on some appetite stimulant. We're also going to discuss some other medication options. Keeping fingers crossed!

                    ~ Anastasia