Re: Any experience with Pet Insurance?

  • Jordan
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2013
      I currently have Embrace Pet Insurance and have also had Pet's Best in the past. The very best thing you can ever do is contact the insurance company BEFORE you have your new kitty. They can begin an insurance plan a day before kitty comes home.

      I did not get insurance for my Sheba until AFTER I had her for a year, and so her feline asthma and heart condition on not covered because it is considered pre-existing. Having said that, insurance companies are insurance companies and even if I did have insurance BEFORE I got her, my guess is they would have still disputed that HCM is a pre-exisiting condition before it can be congenital. So unless you can provide documenation stating otherwise, it probably would not be covered anyway.

      You would have to really FIGHT them on it. But I have done that to get a claim paid, and I DID prevail.

      Her insurance was hugely helpful though last year when she needed two corneal grafts and saved me $3.000 for a surgery I would not have been able to have otherwise. it also covered other issues that have arisen such as vomiting and diarrhea, allergic reaction to a vaccine etc.

      Sooo, my rule of thumb is . . . it is always good to have it, but each claim is ALWAYS up to chance.

      Good luck,
      Jordan and Sheba