RE: Any experience with Pet Insurance?

  • jarsterjunk
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2013
      Hi Cindi. The big deal with insurance is the pre existing condition clause. When you research buying find out right away how that is handled.   We have VPI insurance. It's all right but the payment schedule and amount they reimburse isn't great even though we have their top plan. We got that when both of our cats were healthy and we were not focused on bigger health issues. They reimburse for preventative care which other plans do not.   We wanted to switch to Trupanion, and actually have that going concurrent now, but the pain in the butt problem is that they will not cover anything related to pre existing conditions. The day we literally signed up for Trupanion our indoor cat had her first seizure out of the blue...and they have a 30 day waiting period so we immediately fell into the pre existing condition bucket. But they cover 90% of costs. If we had to do this all over again and insure from the get go we'd deprioritize the preventative care.   There is some good research online that compares plans but in the end you really do have to put the time in with calls to understand how your cat (and his/her conditions) are handled.   Not sure this helps but we're happy to discuss further if that will help you. Best regards, JR & Crew

    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2013
        Hi

        I insure all mine with Petplan UK. They are more expensive than some but do
        cover for life and a generous 4000 per cat per year. Also they allow
        direct claims so you don't have to pay the vet up front. They have been
        excellent with mine through their HCM and other issues.

        But if there is any sign of a heart murmur in the past, even as a kitten,
        and even if they are screened HCM negative later, they aren't covered for
        heart disease.

      • Lisa Chauncey
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2013
          I also have Petplan for all of my pets and I agree, they are excellent.  Unfortunately, my heart kitty didn't have coverage at the time of his diagnosis, so this isn't covered, however, I still opted for insurance for him because you never know what else could pop up.  I had an issue with one of my other cats last year that required a lot of very expensive tests.  Luckily, she was already insured and after my $200.00 deductible, everything was covered at 90%.  And I'm happy and thankful to report that she is fine now.   I think pet insurance is a good idea.

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 2013
            Hi Cindi. VPI in the USA has different plans. Our annual cost runs about $600 per cat and we don't have deductibles with them but they have maximum annual payout per diagnosis code. Trupanion works differently where you are able to pick the lifetime deductible per diagnosis. You really have to talk to the reps and do an apples to apples comparison. We wondered if it was worth it, and then wham something big happened and we were glad that we had some help. Like an MRI ran $1800 and $900 would be covered under the VPI plan we have...with Trupanion it would have been 90% coverage after deductible.   Hope that helps. JR & Crew

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, <feline-heart@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

[...]

          • Jordan
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 3, 2013
              I currently have Embrace Pet Insurance and have also had Pet's Best in the past. The very best thing you can ever do is contact the insurance company BEFORE you have your new kitty. They can begin an insurance plan a day before kitty comes home.

              I did not get insurance for my Sheba until AFTER I had her for a year, and so her feline asthma and heart condition on not covered because it is considered pre-existing. Having said that, insurance companies are insurance companies and even if I did have insurance BEFORE I got her, my guess is they would have still disputed that HCM is a pre-exisiting condition before it can be congenital. So unless you can provide documenation stating otherwise, it probably would not be covered anyway.

              You would have to really FIGHT them on it. But I have done that to get a claim paid, and I DID prevail.

              Her insurance was hugely helpful though last year when she needed two corneal grafts and saved me $3.000 for a surgery I would not have been able to have otherwise. it also covered other issues that have arisen such as vomiting and diarrhea, allergic reaction to a vaccine etc.

              Sooo, my rule of thumb is . . . it is always good to have it, but each claim is ALWAYS up to chance.

              Good luck,
              Jordan and Sheba