Skip to search.

RE: 13yo RCM - lasix not working

  • mainecoonkatze
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 1, 2013
      So I got her bloods back, and EVERYTHING was within normal limits.  Even the potassium.  So it's not that. Problem is, that so long as her breathing is within normal limits, and her bloods are within normal limits, and her X-rays are clear, it makes it very hard for the vets to know what to treat. Having said that,  she has had two good days yesterday and today.  Eating, drinking, purring, , no nausea, and just generally interested in life.  The three things that were different about those two days are  (a) it was slightly warmer - beginning of Spring in Australia - so I wasn't running the heater that makes that weird plastic smell (b) I gave her two x 20mg lasix doses, rather than 4 x 10mg doses, and  (c) she refused point-blank both days to take her Fortekor (benazapril). No idea which of these caused the improvement.  Her GP has put an email into the cardio vet because he needs advice about introducing Spiro, it's not commonly given to cats in Australia, it's more a doggie-drug. But it's been nice to have two full consecutive days with sunshine and a happy cat :) Catie, Kitty, Tuppenny Topsy-Angel, Buttons-Angel, Patch-Angel, Claude-Angel --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, <rschu92@...> wrote: From what I've been told by our cardiologist, the kidney can develop a sort of tolerance to lasix.  Though sprio is not as strong a diuretic, it is potassium sparing from what I've heard, and our cardiologist says it works in a different part of the kidney tubules.

      Has anyone also heard this?

      -Lee and May
      Hi Catie

      I think you are onto something with the potassium. Spiro is not as bad for
      potassium so hopefully you will get a balance. Vetmedin is called
      pimobendan if that helps.

      -Lyn