So frightened

  • jenniedunbar@btinternet.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2013
      Things are very hard for me and I really need some support, sorry.
      Three weeks ago Rupert rabbit died after a nearly six week battle with a thymoma. It was horrific and his death has devastated us.
      Two days after Rupert was pts, I took Henry my 5 year old Persian to the vet as I'd noticed that after climbing the stairs he would be a bit breathless and mouth breathe for a couple of minutes. He sounded as though he had a respiratory infection. Emily his sister has severe allergies so I thought it might be that.
      The vet asked me if Henry had had a heart murmur since birth the first I knew of a heart murmur. The vet gave me antibiotics and said to come back if Henry worsened breathing wise.
      He's seemed fine these last couple of weeks. I intended to take Henry back for tests but I've been unwell and the vet didn't say the murmur needed tests just that I could have them if I wanted.
      On Thursday Henry slept all day. He was exhausted. I booked in for a vet appointment as my gut felt uneasy.
      On Friday I left Henry at the vet for tests. X rays showed fluid in his lungs, the first vet said his murmur was considerably worse, bloods were done and I was telephoned and told Henry has congestive heart failure. Henry's on .6 of furusimide once daily, 1/2 an aspirin every three days and one tablet of nitro daily.
      The vet said Henry hasn't got long, that a thrombosis is likely and that I'll find him gasping for air one day soon.
      I can't understand this. After Rupert this is too much. Henry'salways been really well, full of life and he'd last had his chest listened to when he had a GA in June. How can this happen so quickly?
      I'm terrified. I've had no experience of this. What will happen? It's only me and my animals and they're my world.
      What do I do? I'm so frightened and can't understand this at all. I'm sorry. Please help me.
    • Laurie Stead
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2013
        I am so sorry to hear of Rupert's passing and Henry's dx.  It's tough to accept such a dx and wrap your mind around it, especially after dealing with Rupert's loss.  But please know there is hope for Henry.  The fact that Henry is now receiving lasix should be helping his breathing.  Unfortunately most vets miss heart disease and it isn't until they are in heart failure that the diagnosis is made.

        Henry really needs to see a cardiologist for an ultrasound.  Knowing exactly what type of heart disease will allow for the best treatment.  There are meds that can be given to prevent blood clotting (aspirin may not be the best choice) that would cause the thrombosis your vet scared you about. Not sure if the vet was trying to "prepare you for the worse" or he has given up on Henry but I know you
        haven't and you shouldn't.  Henry is obviously a fighter as he responded to the treatment on Friday so get him in to a cardiologist as soon as possible.

        How is his breathing today?  Did the vet show you how to count his resting respiratory rate (RRR)?  This is the best way to know if fluid is building back up.  If it does, additional lasix will be needed.  RRR above 30 is a warning and above 40 is emergency.

        My Boo suffered cardiac heart failure and it will be 2 yrs in Oct!  Every kitty responds differently to treatment but I wanted you to know you should have hope.

        Laurie and Boo

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2013
          I am copying the group as there is a wealth of knowledge out there.

          Yes make the appointment with the cardiologist right away - chances are by the the time they can see you the blood work will be back and if not you can have it done there. Your vet can send copies of the x-rays or you can pick up a copy and bring them with you to the appointment.  Our cardiologist ended up taking x-rays again since the vet x-rays were grainy and hard to read.

          I am glad Henry is breathing well.  Yes he has been through a lot and his body is adjusting to the meds so he will be tired.

          As for taking is RRR, while Henry is at rest (not in a deep sleep and not awake where he is smelling or watching out the window kinda thing) count his inward breaths over 10 seconds - multiply that # by 6.  In the 20s is normal,  30+ is a warning of trouble and 40+ emergency.    Getting used to what is normal for Henry will alert you in the future to any issues.

          Laurie and Boo

          ________________________________
          Thank you for replying. The vet hasn't told me anything about measuring his heart/breathing rate. I can get to a cardiologist-I'm in the UK but one is about an hour away. I wondered if he wouldn't see us until the blood results are back? The xray showed fluid but also a definite line at the bottom of Henry's heart. The vet said could be his lung or a thrombosis hence my fear. I was going to speak to my vet tomorrow and see if he'd send the xray to the cardiologist anyway for an opinion whilst we wait for the blood tests? At the moment Henry gets tired but otherwise looks and behaves normally.
          Henry's insured so can have what he needs treatment wise from a financial perspective.
          I'm just in shock. My vet is a very negative chap-everything's always a disaster so I'm hoping his comments are exaggerated. He suggested the cardiologist though so he's not given up. Anyway I wouldn't let him.
          Knowledge is power for me and currently I feel I'm drowning and don't know what's happening. I will fight with Henry but need to know what we're fighting.
          Thank you again.

          --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Laurie Stead <kittykatwhiskas@...> wrote:

          > I am so sorry to hear of Rupert's passing and Henry's dx.  It's tough to accept such a dx and wrap your mind around it, especially after dealing with Rupert's loss.  But please know there is hope for Henry.  The fact that Henry is now receiving lasix should be helping his breathing.  Unfortunately most vets miss heart disease and it isn't until they are in heart failure that the diagnosis is made.
          >
          > Henry really needs to see a cardiologist for an ultrasound.  Knowing exactly what type of heart disease will allow for the best treatment.  There are meds that can be given to prevent blood clotting (aspirin may not be the best choice) that would cause the thrombosis your vet scared you about. Not sure if the vet was trying to "prepare you for the worse" or he has given up on Henry but I know you
          >  haven't and you shouldn't.  Henry is obviously a fighter as he responded to the treatment on Friday so get him in to a cardiologist as soon as possible.
          >
          > How is his breathing today?  Did the vet show you how to count his resting respiratory rate (RRR)?  This is the best way to know if fluid is building back up.  If it does, additional lasix will be needed.  RRR above 30 is a warning and above 40 is emergency.
          >
          > My Boo suffered cardiac heart failure and it will be 2 yrs in Oct!  Every kitty responds differently to treatment but I wanted you to know you should have hope.
          >
          > Laurie and Boo

        • elfinmyst
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2013
            Hi

            Please don't give up. My girl was diagnosed at 3 months old, given a few
            months to live and was seven years this August. He needs to see a
            cardiologist immediately as urgent. They will see what kind of heart disease he has
            and recommend the best treatment. An Xray can not diagnose what is wrong with
            the heart.

            Yes, count his breaths whilst he is resting. See what's normal, see if it
            changes with lasix.

            But please see the cardiologist asap.

          • yvonnelitse
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 3, 2013
              Please don't lose hope! I feel for you as my Ginger has been diagnosed with HCM with CHF only a week ago. I've been trying every hard to manage my emotion well, at the same time pay 110% attention to look after him. I know it will be hard for you to accept. But by joining this group give me hope and strength to face it. I've heard cats' been diagnosed and gave "months to live" by vet. However some of them are managing the disease quite well and still living in a quality life for many years!

              The reality is there is no cure for this disease at the moment, we will all have to accept that. However by proper treatment and if the cat's body accept the treatment, the disease can be control and slow down. So please do some reasearch, find a better vet/cardiologist to understand the disease properly and develop a good medical plan. By saying find a better vet, it doesn't only means they have better knowledge, but also they have a real heart for animals. Some vet ignore the fact that our cats are all special to us,  we can't treat this situation a normal case as the vet since they might see worse situation everyday. They don't have a heart to treat animals when they've been found in terminal disease. The common they give you might bring you down and make you even more depress. I am lucky to have a great vet, show me she still care even Ginger will not be able to recover, trying her best to give me answer and do research for me.

              Also do some research online/books, drop down the concern/medicine/question and discuss with the vet/cardiologist.

              Hope you gain back your strength soon and fight this battle with Henry. He will not be able to do it without you.

              All the best!

              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, <elfinmyst@...> wrote:

              Hi

              Please don't give up. My girl was diagnosed at 3 months old, given a few

              months to live and was seven years this August. He needs to see a

              cardiologist immediately as urgent. They will see what kind of heart disease he has

              and recommend the best treatment. An Xray can not diagnose what is wrong with

              the heart.

              Yes, count his breaths whilst he is resting. See what's normal, see if it

              changes with lasix.

              But please see the cardiologist asap.

              Lyn

              _www.myfurkids.co.uk_ ( http://www.myfurkids.co.uk/)

            • keycmv
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 6, 2013
                Jennie -

                I am so sorry about Rupert. Bunnies can have such wonderful personalities.

                Don't panic about Henry. My boy has had a heart murmur since he was a kitten. He went into heart failure almost two years ago. He just turned 20 a couple weeks ago. You acted quickly and have Henry on the proper medication to help reduce the chances of further episodes. And you have found this group, that is a wealth of information, and an emotional support group too.

                Sorry you are here, but glad you found us.

                Carol and Gump