RE: 10 years old Ginger been dianose with HCM

  • yvonnelitse
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2013
      Hi Laurie, Thanks for suggestion. You are right, hopefully the medicine will arrive soon, and i forgot lasix amount can be ajusted! But by saying that, let hope that when the medicine comes Ginger will eat it without too many troubles. We found it hard to fed him medicine..:(   --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, <kittykatwhiskas@...> wrote: I would encourage you to take Ginger to see a cardiologist.  An ultrasound determining the exact heart disease causing the CHF is imperative to get her on the right meds.  My Boo experienced heart failure and was given "months at best" to live.   Well almost 2yrs later you wouldn't even know she was battling the disease.  The meds have worked for her.  Every kitty is different but with the right meds, Ginger does have a chance.

      I hope Ginger's initial meds arrive soon... the lasix is necessary to keep the fluid down.  Heart trumps kidneys.  You do want to keep an eye on the kidneys.. follow-up blood work is a good plan so you have a bench mark.... but keeping fluid off her chest is more important right now.

      Laurie and Boo

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 31, 2013
        I use pill pockets salmon favor - just 1/2 of one enough to cover the pill.  Lasix is a small pill so hopefully Ginger won't give you too much trouble :)

[...]

      • r schu
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2013
          Hi,

          Not sure if this has been said, but from what I've learned, enalapril (and ace inhibitor) is cleared more by the kidneys than benazepril (ace inhibitor as well).  My May has crf and hcm and instead of enalapril, we put her on benazepril, and though she had advanced kidney disease, her kidneys did not decline from the benazepril.

          So, my advice would be to switch to benazepril instead of enalapril if and when possible.

          -Lee and Miss May
          =========