10 years old Ginger been dianose with HCM

  • Yvonne Li
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 30, 2013
      Hi everyone,
      My
      10 years old Ginger cat just been diagnose with HCM 2 days ago.
      Congestive Heart Failure developed, they can see fluid in his chest. He
      lost appertise, became very inactive, just lay around in my room.

      After
      1 night crying me and my husband decided even there is no hope for
      cure, we still want to buy some quality time with Ginger. We called the
      vet next day to organise medicine in liquid form (Ginger is a very
      grumpy cat and don't want to stress him up with tablet). It will takes 4
      days for the medicine arrive (I am in Australia, everything is too slow
      here), confirmed with the vet it will contains Latsix and Enalapril.

      The
      vet warn me depend on different cats the medicine might affect the
      kidney, my decision is if it does affect the kidney we will stop the
      medication. So after 10 days of
      medication they will need to do either blood or Urine test to see if
      the kidney's been affective.

      I cannot help too much with the
      medical since I can only trust the vet. However i would like to help
      Ginger with the diet. I am trying to give him low/no sodium diet. I've
      tried boiled chicken, he ate some but not big fan of it. Tried boiled
      salmon this morning, he likes it! (He's been stopped eating breakfast
      for few days since got sick, and today he eats a little bit again!)...He doesn't poo everyday, and poo very little, but at least he is still doing it..

      The
      vet did not suggest for any supplement for him to take, however by
      reading the forum, a lot of people suggested in COQ-10. I am definitely
      will give it a go since nothing can harm more. I am wondering if anyone
      have any experiences with how to keep the kidney healthy at the same
      time?

      Thanks everyone. I am glad i find this forum, we are all
      facing the same problem but we are brave to fight through it. I am still crying everyday but I am trying my best to manage my emotion well. If I know
      any other good point/sources, I will
      definitely contrubute.

      *
      *

      *

    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 31, 2013
        Hi

        I am sorry to hear of Ginger. Has he had the ultrasound to confirm the type
        of heart disease? I am glad you are going to give Ginger a chance as heart
        disease can be controlled and helped. My girl was diagnosed as a 12 week
        kitten with serious HCM and was given a few months to live. She is seven
        years old now, despite a heart attack. The drugs will help Ginger's heart and
        remove fluid off his lungs.

        I would be wary with Ginger's diet. You mention chicken and salmon, which
        is good but he needs either a complete cat food or the addition of taurine
        if he isn't having food for cats. Lack of taurine can cause heart problems
        too. If he isnt getting taurine, he needs a good quality complete food for
        cats.

        If his kidneys are affected, it is stil important to give the drugs as the
        heart has to come first. But you can ask for the lasix to be lowered and
        changing enalapril for benazepril which helps if needed.

        Count his breaths and learn his normal rhythm. If it goes over 30 a minute
        (whilst resting/sleeping) then it is time to worry, over 40 is usually an
        emergency. This is only at rest. See how he normally breathes then you can
        notice changes.

        Definitely get CoQ, but dont stop suddenly if you do. And ask the vet does
        he need anything to prevent clots.

        :) Lyn

      • Laurie Stead
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 31, 2013
          I would encourage you to take Ginger to see a cardiologist.  An ultrasound determining the exact heart disease causing the CHF is imperative to get her on the right meds.  My Boo experienced heart failure and was given "months at best" to live.   Well almost 2yrs later you wouldn't even know she was battling the disease.  The meds have worked for her.  Every kitty is different but with the right meds, Ginger does have a chance.

          I hope Ginger's initial meds arrive soon... the lasix is necessary to keep the fluid down.  Heart trumps kidneys.  You do want to keep an eye on the kidneys.. follow-up blood work is a good plan so you have a bench mark.... but keeping fluid off her chest is more important right now.

          Laurie and Boo

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 31, 2013
            Hi Lyn, Yes Ginger had been to ultrasound so they confirmed HCM from the result. Intially Ginger changed his eatting pattern and become inactive, we took him to the vet and vet suggested blood test, find out the liver founction normal, suspected either liver infection or cancel, then referred him to ultrasound and find out is HCM. I brought the Q10 capsule, cut it and put the liquid in his food. It is very hard to give him medicine especially vet said should never stress him. He doesn't want to eat the chicken and salmon I made, so i went to buy some low-sodium cat food, he ate it. Nothing worse than he stop eating. Thanks for suggesting ask vet how to prevent blood clot. Will definitely drop down in my note. Only thing frustrated me is still waiting for the medicine. --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, <kittykatwhiskas@...> wrote: I would encourage you to take Ginger to see a cardiologist.  An ultrasound determining the exact heart disease causing the CHF is imperative to get her on the right meds.  My Boo experienced heart failure and was given "months at best" to live.   Well almost 2yrs later you wouldn't even know she was battling the disease.  The meds have worked for her.  Every kitty is different but with the right meds, Ginger does have a chance.

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 31, 2013
              Hi Laurie, Thanks for suggestion. You are right, hopefully the medicine will arrive soon, and i forgot lasix amount can be ajusted! But by saying that, let hope that when the medicine comes Ginger will eat it without too many troubles. We found it hard to fed him medicine..:(   --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, <kittykatwhiskas@...> wrote: I would encourage you to take Ginger to see a cardiologist.  An ultrasound determining the exact heart disease causing the CHF is imperative to get her on the right meds.  My Boo experienced heart failure and was given "months at best" to live.   Well almost 2yrs later you wouldn't even know she was battling the disease.  The meds have worked for her.  Every kitty is different but with the right meds, Ginger does have a chance.

              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 31, 2013
                I use pill pockets salmon favor - just 1/2 of one enough to cover the pill.  Lasix is a small pill so hopefully Ginger won't give you too much trouble :)

[...]

              • r schu
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 1, 2013
                  Hi,

                  Not sure if this has been said, but from what I've learned, enalapril (and ace inhibitor) is cleared more by the kidneys than benazepril (ace inhibitor as well).  My May has crf and hcm and instead of enalapril, we put her on benazepril, and though she had advanced kidney disease, her kidneys did not decline from the benazepril.

                  So, my advice would be to switch to benazepril instead of enalapril if and when possible.

                  -Lee and Miss May
                  =========