RE: Re: [FH] Re: Kitty with asthma, or heart disease or both

  • homoplasmate
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 30, 2013
      My cat also has been diagnosed, after X-rays becoz of asthma, with an enlarged heart; apparently it is pushing against his right lung preventing breathing - creating co-morbid symptoms with the asthma. --- the vet says it's untreatable besides steriods & diuretic, just a matter of prolonging his life as long as possible by reducing symptoms (blood pressure etc) she also recommended ultrasound but didn't think it would change the diagnosis or prognosis, or even treatment...? --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, <Groetzinger6@...> wrote: Hi there,
      I am writing as my cat too was thought to have an enlarged heart in xray for asthma=we did an echocardiogram and found out heart is fine. My vet recommended we start my cat on inhaled steriod medication and a rescue inhaler. If you join the feline asthma group we have all the info for you to buy the aerokat inhaler and the medications you can buy overseas alot cheaper than here in the usa. the highest dose med costs about $360. over in new zealand its $50 for the same thing. same manufacturer different packaging slightly different container it comes in. So I would have those xrays looked at-if there are donuts/tram lines then yes its asthma. you can read more on our feline asthma group. there is a questionaire you can fill out and us members chime in to help. hope this helps!

      Tonda n honeybee.

      ps honeybee has been puffing away since march and her asthma is under control. on high humid days she needs the higher dose meds..in the spring the mid level dose one was fine.