Atenolol + Theophylline

  • muggiati
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 30, 2013
      Hi cat lovers,  My adorable sweetheart etc etc 12 years old angora was diagnosed HCM this week, after echo cardio exam,  and the vet recommended atenolol for the treatment. He was already taking theophylline due to a respiratory collapse in the beginning of the month (that's how we decided to investigate his condition further).  Does any of you has a similar experience and, if so, how is your cat responding to treatment? Thanks, meow
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 30, 2013
        Hi

        I`m sorry to hear of your angora. It's good he was picked up quickly and
        is now being treated. The atenolol is the first drug given to my cats with
        mild/moderate HCM too. It helps the heart work more efficiently and lowers
        blood pressure.

        Theophylline I have only heard of in tea and for asthma. So no real idea
        there. It's similar to caffiene in some ways, I can't have either as am
        sensitive to them. Is he taking it in tablets or inhaled?

        He might need something to prevent blood clots. Aspirin and clopidogrel are
        both to prevent clots forming, I`d ask the cardiologist if this is a
        concern. Some of us here use Nattokinase (without vitamin K) to dissolve small
        clots. Most of my HCM cats are on clopidogrel (plavix)

        You should measure his heart rate when he is sleeping, but not dreaming.
        Measure for 10 seconds and multiply by 6 to get the rate per minute.. 15 to
        25 is normal. Over 30 is caution and over 40 an emergency. Get used to
        what is normal then you can see changes which indicate fluid in the lungs and
        heart failure. If the breathing changes, call the vet immediately. Changes
        are double breaths (breathes in twice) hard breaths and wheezing. Were
        his kidney results normal?

        I would recommend CoQ at 30mg. Mine take it, but once started you cant stop
        it . Its from the health shop and has helped mine.