Re: [FH] Re: Omega-3 Supplement Question

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 29 6:14 AM
      Hi

      There is an alternative, the biomanufactered Omega 3 EPA and DHA. Its made
      in huge bio tanks with bacteria or algae and vegetarians use it instead of
      fish oil in the UK. But those are human supplements in capsules, for my
      cats I would still use salmon oil.

    • r schu
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 30 12:11 PM
        To correct myself here:  plants are 'dis-armed' so to speak, not by gut bacteria, but rather by the liver of the animal who ate them.  I'm no expert, but am always cautious with plants and cats, and make sure things are safe.  So for the omega 3 from algae that the fish eat.  Chances are it's absolutely fine for cats, but there could be a liver enzyme in the fish that somehow change the chemistry to make them different.

        Humans eat flax which has ala, and our bodies, some better than others, convert the ala to dha and eph, which are the usable omega 3's everyone talks about.  That is the only example I can think of right now, as I'm no expert on nutrition or plant chemicals!  And neither is May.

        I've read that essential oils are bad for cats, but many many people give them to their casts with no ill effect, so different schools of thought and different experiences.

        -Lee and May

        ============

        Leigh,

        I didn't know flax oil was okay for cats.  I'm always cautious about any
        plant matter.  Cats get their plants in the wild after they have been
        dis-armed, so to speak, by the gut bacteria of their prey.  So many
        plants are not safe for cats in raw form.

        ...Lee

      • r schu
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 30 12:21 PM
          If I knew that the algae omega 3's was for sure safe for cats, I'd switch immediately.  But I'm not sure it's going to be anytime soon that studies are done to prove it.  That being said, at least one list member I've written with is using it for cats with no ill effects, and that might be conclusive enough.

          I take the algal omega 3 for myself, choosing not to consume an animal product (fish oil).

          -Lee
          ============
          Hi

          There is an alternative, the biomanufactered Omega 3 EPA and DHA. Its made
          in huge bio tanks with bacteria or algae and vegetarians use it instead of
          fish oil in the UK. But those are human supplements in capsules, for my
          cats I would still use salmon oil.

        • ERIC LEE
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 30 12:51 PM
            Hello,

            Look at the contents for Cardiostrength. You can find it online. A board certified vet said it was ok to give it to my cat. I like this  becasue I am concerned about giving too much. I did buy a bottle of fish oil made for cats from my vet that tells you how much to give on the label but once I found the Cardiostrength, I just give that.

            Facts:
            Active Ingredients Per Capsule:
            L-Carnitine HCl                                       250 mg
            L-Taurine                                             250 mg
            N,N-Dimethylglycine HCl                                50 mg
            d-alpha Tocopheryl Succinate (Vitamin E)               30 IU
            Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) Powder Blend               25 mg
            Coenzyme Q10                                           20 mg
            Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA) Powder Blend                10 mg
            Folic Acid                                            0.9 mg
            Magnesium (as Magnesium Citrate/Malate)               0.5 mg
            Potassium (as Potassium Citrate/Malate)               0.1 mg
            Selenium (as Sodium Selenite)                       0.007 mg

          • elfinmyst
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 30 12:56 PM
              Hi

              I loved cardiostrength, but they stopped selling it in the UK due to lack
              of people buying it. It's too expensive to import, but it worked well for my
              cats. But whoa, they're big capsules:)