Re: [FH] Re: Omega-3 Supplement Question

  • Jim Sinclair
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 28 3:58 PM
      My vet says cats can't absorb much of anything from flax.

      The veterinary nutritionist I consulted with recommends this product:
      http://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/DHA_EPA.aspx

      It has DHA from algae, not fish. (The algae is where the fish get it
      in the first place

      Jim Sinclair jisincla@...

      On Aug 28, 2013 4:23 PM, "r schu" <rschu92@...> wrote:

      > Leigh,
      >
      > I didn't know flax oil was okay for cats. I'm always cautious about any plant matter. Cats get their plants in the wild after they have been dis-armed, so to speak, by the gut bacteria of their prey. So many plants are not safe for cats in raw form.
      >
      > I do know for humans, flax had the precursor to omega 3 (dha, epa,). Flax has ala, which from what I've read (Joel Fuhrman Dr. on nutrition) some people can convert easier than others to epa/dha. I'm not sure about cats.
      >
      > The product you use, says it's for cats, so it must be safe. And it wouldn't have the heavy metals associated with fish.
      >
      > - Lee and May
      > ================================
      >
      > Yes! YES! Give it to her! I use Natrol's Omega-3 (1000mg) - not fish oil,
      > but flaxseed oil. It's wonderful for a heart kitty. I also give mine
      > vitamin E (d'alpha tocopherols - 50 IU), CoQ10 with mitochondrial support
      > (100 milligrams), and Super Stress B (100 mg). All of these things are good
      > for cats with heart problems. The only downside to Omega-3 is that, if your
      > cat is small, it may make the coat too oily. You'll have to experiment, but
      > it's wonderful for the heart!
      > Leigh

    • Mary Sue Rubin
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 28 4:23 PM
        Krill oil or oils from some smaller cold water fish are often mentioned as
        alternatives to salmon oil. They are lower on the food chain so they don't
        have the problem with heavy metals that salmon and larger fish are likely to
        have.

        Mary Sue

        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 28 6:34 PM
          FYI...Unfortunately there is no responsible harvesting of krill. The way this sea life is obtained is by trolling the ocean floor, killing and destroying other sea life indiscriminately as these mega companies troll with their huge machinery. Please don't support such practices.

          Marianna

          Krill oil or oils from some smaller cold water fish are often mentioned as alternatives to salmon oil. They are lower on the food chain so they don’t have the problem with heavy metals that salmon and larger fish are likely to have.

          Mary Sue

        • elfinmyst
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 29 6:14 AM
            Hi

            There is an alternative, the biomanufactered Omega 3 EPA and DHA. Its made
            in huge bio tanks with bacteria or algae and vegetarians use it instead of
            fish oil in the UK. But those are human supplements in capsules, for my
            cats I would still use salmon oil.

          • r schu
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 30 12:11 PM
              To correct myself here:  plants are 'dis-armed' so to speak, not by gut bacteria, but rather by the liver of the animal who ate them.  I'm no expert, but am always cautious with plants and cats, and make sure things are safe.  So for the omega 3 from algae that the fish eat.  Chances are it's absolutely fine for cats, but there could be a liver enzyme in the fish that somehow change the chemistry to make them different.

              Humans eat flax which has ala, and our bodies, some better than others, convert the ala to dha and eph, which are the usable omega 3's everyone talks about.  That is the only example I can think of right now, as I'm no expert on nutrition or plant chemicals!  And neither is May.

              I've read that essential oils are bad for cats, but many many people give them to their casts with no ill effect, so different schools of thought and different experiences.

              -Lee and May

              ============

              Leigh,

              I didn't know flax oil was okay for cats.  I'm always cautious about any
              plant matter.  Cats get their plants in the wild after they have been
              dis-armed, so to speak, by the gut bacteria of their prey.  So many
              plants are not safe for cats in raw form.

              ...Lee

            • r schu
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 30 12:21 PM
                If I knew that the algae omega 3's was for sure safe for cats, I'd switch immediately.  But I'm not sure it's going to be anytime soon that studies are done to prove it.  That being said, at least one list member I've written with is using it for cats with no ill effects, and that might be conclusive enough.

                I take the algal omega 3 for myself, choosing not to consume an animal product (fish oil).

                -Lee
                ============
                Hi

                There is an alternative, the biomanufactered Omega 3 EPA and DHA. Its made
                in huge bio tanks with bacteria or algae and vegetarians use it instead of
                fish oil in the UK. But those are human supplements in capsules, for my
                cats I would still use salmon oil.

              • ERIC LEE
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 30 12:51 PM
                  Hello,

                  Look at the contents for Cardiostrength. You can find it online. A board certified vet said it was ok to give it to my cat. I like this  becasue I am concerned about giving too much. I did buy a bottle of fish oil made for cats from my vet that tells you how much to give on the label but once I found the Cardiostrength, I just give that.

                  Facts:
                  Active Ingredients Per Capsule:
                  L-Carnitine HCl                                       250 mg
                  L-Taurine                                             250 mg
                  N,N-Dimethylglycine HCl                                50 mg
                  d-alpha Tocopheryl Succinate (Vitamin E)               30 IU
                  Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) Powder Blend               25 mg
                  Coenzyme Q10                                           20 mg
                  Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA) Powder Blend                10 mg
                  Folic Acid                                            0.9 mg
                  Magnesium (as Magnesium Citrate/Malate)               0.5 mg
                  Potassium (as Potassium Citrate/Malate)               0.1 mg
                  Selenium (as Sodium Selenite)                       0.007 mg

                • elfinmyst
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 30 12:56 PM
                    Hi

                    I loved cardiostrength, but they stopped selling it in the UK due to lack
                    of people buying it. It's too expensive to import, but it worked well for my
                    cats. But whoa, they're big capsules:)