Re: Omega-3 Supplement Question

  • r schu
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 28, 2013
      Laurie,

      May has been getting 1000mg fish oil a day for almost 4 years, now Carlsons super omega 3 gems, with 600mg omega 3's (300mg epa, 200mg dha, 100 other 3's).  So your dose does not sound like too much at all from what I've read.  Thing to make sure is that the oil is of a quality to not have toxins in it.

      This Carlsons says regularly tested using international protocols for purity free of detrimental levels of mercury, cadmium, lead, pcb's and 28 other contaminants.  It still sounds scary, and I've seen some that are 'filtered' purified somehow.  So not sure this is even the safest.

      Too bad about losing your cardiologist.  Can you still consult with her?

      -Lee and May

      ===========
      Hi -

      Just a quick question since Boo's amazing cardiologist left the practice and they have not replaced her :(

      I just starting giving an Omega-3 supplement to my non-heart kitty for
      his excessive itchy skin.  Just saw my little heart kitty Boo eating
      away at his dish. I think she must like the fish oil.  It contains 250mg
      Omega-3 fatty acids of which 125mg is EPA and 85mg DHA.

      Is this safe for Boo to eat?  She is taking lasix, benazepril, plavix and vetmedin.

      Thank you!

      Laurie and Boo

    • r schu
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 28, 2013
        Leigh,

        I didn't know flax oil was okay for cats.  I'm always cautious about any plant matter.  Cats get their plants in the wild after they have been dis-armed, so to speak, by the gut bacteria of their prey.  So many plants are not safe for cats in raw form.

        I do know for humans, flax had the precursor to omega 3 (dha, epa,).  Flax has ala, which from what I've read (Joel Fuhrman Dr. on nutrition) some people can convert easier than others to epa/dha.  I'm not sure about cats.

        The product you use, says it's for cats, so it must be safe.  And it wouldn't have the heavy metals associated with fish.

        - Lee and May
        ================================

        Yes! YES! Give it to her! I use Natrol's Omega-3 (1000mg) - not fish oil,
        but flaxseed oil. It's wonderful for a heart kitty. I also give mine
        vitamin E (d'alpha tocopherols - 50 IU), CoQ10 with mitochondrial support
        (100 milligrams), and Super Stress B (100 mg). All of these things are good
        for cats with heart problems. The only downside to Omega-3 is that, if your
        cat is small, it may make the coat too oily. You'll have to experiment, but
        it's wonderful for the heart!
        Leigh

      • marianna.mayer
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 28, 2013
          Hmmm...sorry, I beg to differ, and agree with Lee's concerns. All I have read supports the research that flax is *not* good for cats and/or dogs. They cannot convert it. Better to avoid it, and supplement with a non toxic wild salmon oil.

          Leigh I'd be interested to read the findings that suggest otherwise.
          Thanks.

          Marianna

[...]

        • Jim Sinclair
          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 28, 2013
            My vet says cats can't absorb much of anything from flax.

            The veterinary nutritionist I consulted with recommends this product:
            http://www.drfuhrman.com/shop/DHA_EPA.aspx

            It has DHA from algae, not fish. (The algae is where the fish get it
            in the first place

            Jim Sinclair jisincla@...

            On Aug 28, 2013 4:23 PM, "r schu" <rschu92@...> wrote:

            > Leigh,
            >
            > I didn't know flax oil was okay for cats. I'm always cautious about any plant matter. Cats get their plants in the wild after they have been dis-armed, so to speak, by the gut bacteria of their prey. So many plants are not safe for cats in raw form.
            >
            > I do know for humans, flax had the precursor to omega 3 (dha, epa,). Flax has ala, which from what I've read (Joel Fuhrman Dr. on nutrition) some people can convert easier than others to epa/dha. I'm not sure about cats.
            >
            > The product you use, says it's for cats, so it must be safe. And it wouldn't have the heavy metals associated with fish.
            >
            > - Lee and May
            > ================================
            >
            > Yes! YES! Give it to her! I use Natrol's Omega-3 (1000mg) - not fish oil,
            > but flaxseed oil. It's wonderful for a heart kitty. I also give mine
            > vitamin E (d'alpha tocopherols - 50 IU), CoQ10 with mitochondrial support
            > (100 milligrams), and Super Stress B (100 mg). All of these things are good
            > for cats with heart problems. The only downside to Omega-3 is that, if your
            > cat is small, it may make the coat too oily. You'll have to experiment, but
            > it's wonderful for the heart!
            > Leigh

          • Mary Sue Rubin
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 28, 2013
              Krill oil or oils from some smaller cold water fish are often mentioned as
              alternatives to salmon oil. They are lower on the food chain so they don't
              have the problem with heavy metals that salmon and larger fish are likely to
              have.

              Mary Sue

              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 28, 2013
                FYI...Unfortunately there is no responsible harvesting of krill. The way this sea life is obtained is by trolling the ocean floor, killing and destroying other sea life indiscriminately as these mega companies troll with their huge machinery. Please don't support such practices.

                Marianna

                Krill oil or oils from some smaller cold water fish are often mentioned as alternatives to salmon oil. They are lower on the food chain so they don’t have the problem with heavy metals that salmon and larger fish are likely to have.

                Mary Sue

              • elfinmyst
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 29, 2013
                  Hi

                  There is an alternative, the biomanufactered Omega 3 EPA and DHA. Its made
                  in huge bio tanks with bacteria or algae and vegetarians use it instead of
                  fish oil in the UK. But those are human supplements in capsules, for my
                  cats I would still use salmon oil.

                • r schu
                  Message 8 of 17 , Aug 30, 2013
                    To correct myself here:  plants are 'dis-armed' so to speak, not by gut bacteria, but rather by the liver of the animal who ate them.  I'm no expert, but am always cautious with plants and cats, and make sure things are safe.  So for the omega 3 from algae that the fish eat.  Chances are it's absolutely fine for cats, but there could be a liver enzyme in the fish that somehow change the chemistry to make them different.

                    Humans eat flax which has ala, and our bodies, some better than others, convert the ala to dha and eph, which are the usable omega 3's everyone talks about.  That is the only example I can think of right now, as I'm no expert on nutrition or plant chemicals!  And neither is May.

                    I've read that essential oils are bad for cats, but many many people give them to their casts with no ill effect, so different schools of thought and different experiences.

                    -Lee and May

                    ============

                    Leigh,

                    I didn't know flax oil was okay for cats.  I'm always cautious about any
                    plant matter.  Cats get their plants in the wild after they have been
                    dis-armed, so to speak, by the gut bacteria of their prey.  So many
                    plants are not safe for cats in raw form.

                    ...Lee

                  • r schu
                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 30, 2013
                      If I knew that the algae omega 3's was for sure safe for cats, I'd switch immediately.  But I'm not sure it's going to be anytime soon that studies are done to prove it.  That being said, at least one list member I've written with is using it for cats with no ill effects, and that might be conclusive enough.

                      I take the algal omega 3 for myself, choosing not to consume an animal product (fish oil).

                      -Lee
                      ============
                      Hi

                      There is an alternative, the biomanufactered Omega 3 EPA and DHA. Its made
                      in huge bio tanks with bacteria or algae and vegetarians use it instead of
                      fish oil in the UK. But those are human supplements in capsules, for my
                      cats I would still use salmon oil.

                    • ERIC LEE
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 30, 2013
                        Hello,

                        Look at the contents for Cardiostrength. You can find it online. A board certified vet said it was ok to give it to my cat. I like this  becasue I am concerned about giving too much. I did buy a bottle of fish oil made for cats from my vet that tells you how much to give on the label but once I found the Cardiostrength, I just give that.

                        Facts:
                        Active Ingredients Per Capsule:
                        L-Carnitine HCl                                       250 mg
                        L-Taurine                                             250 mg
                        N,N-Dimethylglycine HCl                                50 mg
                        d-alpha Tocopheryl Succinate (Vitamin E)               30 IU
                        Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA) Powder Blend               25 mg
                        Coenzyme Q10                                           20 mg
                        Gamma Linolenic Acid (GLA) Powder Blend                10 mg
                        Folic Acid                                            0.9 mg
                        Magnesium (as Magnesium Citrate/Malate)               0.5 mg
                        Potassium (as Potassium Citrate/Malate)               0.1 mg
                        Selenium (as Sodium Selenite)                       0.007 mg

                      • elfinmyst
                        Message 11 of 17 , Aug 30, 2013
                          Hi

                          I loved cardiostrength, but they stopped selling it in the UK due to lack
                          of people buying it. It's too expensive to import, but it worked well for my
                          cats. But whoa, they're big capsules:)