Spitting Up Clear Liquid?

  • jennynolive
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 27, 2013
      Hi everyone,

      My HCM kitty, Olive, was started on atenolol about a week ago. Starting yesterday, I've noticed clear fluid dripping from her mouth. It's happened a few times. I can't tell if its saliva or vomit. I called the vet who seemed to think it was nothing to worry about. However, she definitely never did this before and she seems to be distressed when its happening. I'm wondering if this is a medication side effect or an HCM symptom, and if I should be concerned. Has anyone ever experienced this with their kitty?

      Thanks!
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 27, 2013
        Hi

        This could be one of three things. Either saliva which suggests a bad tooth
        or gum problem and needs to be checked at the vets. Or possibly drool
        because she is feeling sick, like we salivate before we're sick. But that's
        unlikely if she isn't vomiting too.

        Or it may be fluid from her lungs which is an emergency. If fluid, she
        would be breathing quickly, more than normal. If she is, please go to the
        emergency vet now. I`m sorry if this alarms you, but cats with heart failure,
        their lungs can fill with fluid quickly. She would be having breathing
        difficulties and a faster rate if so. Vomit would be obvious, with the retching
        and spewing cats usually do.
        Either way, I`m afraid it is a trip to the vets.