Re: Kitty just dx with cardiomyopathy---how to make her feel better?

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 27 4:20 AM
      Hi

      Olive is young to have HCM but it is good you spotted it quickly. Atenolol
      is usually the first medication given to mild disease and helps with the
      obstruction. It is perfectly normal for the first few days on atenolol to be
      more sleepy and tired as the body adjusts to it, but if there is a real
      change I would contact the cardiologist or vet to check her blood pressure
      hasn't dropped low.

      There are things you can do to help. As she has obstruction, did they give
      advice on blood clots? All my HCM kitties take plavix at my request to
      reduce the risk of this. The alternative is nattokinase( must not have vitamin
      K) from the health shop. I gave Doctors Best before we switched to plavix.

      CoQ 10 at 30mg is another thing I give my heart cats. It needs to be given
      daily, from the health shop , and mine have taken it for up to 7 years. But
      dont stop it suddenly if you start so be prepared to insist its given if
      your cat is ever hospitalised.

      You have a new task to do as a newly diagnosed 'heart mommy'. Learn about
      breathing. Wait until Olive is asleep then count her breaths over 10
      secs.(times by 6) for the minute. Up to 30 is normal, 30+ time to see the vet and
      40+ emergency.

      Also watch her breathing so you can spot changes quickly. Learn how deep
      she breathes, whats normal. You dont need to do this all the time, I was
      constantly checking at first, but now a quick twice a day works for me. You're
      looking for an increase in rate, sharp breaths, struggled breaths, double
      breaths. These are easy to spot if you know what is normal.

      :) lyn