Re: New Member - Restrictive Cardiomyopathy

  • bspringsted425
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 26, 2013
      Hi everyone. First, I have to apologize for posting on here and then disappearing for a few days. The responses I got to my initial post were so wonderful so I have to thank you all for that. This groups is already helping me feel better mentally. I just hadn't posted for a few days because I felt mentally exhausted and needed to just NOT write or talk about Wendy for a little while. But at the same time, its very helpful - both mentally and intellectually, to know that other people are going through, or have gone through, this same process.

      I got a few personal responses to my initial post that I don't think posted to the whole group, and one asked me if I knew that thyroid numbers from Wendy's blood tests. I called the vet that day to ask, and she said 1.3. She said that under 4 was considered normal range, but the person who responded to me (I'm sorry I don't remember who it was offhand) said that 2.5 or above could be thyroid disease in senior cats. She asked me to post the numbers for the whole group. So I'm guessing that I'm out of luck for it being a thyroid problem? 1.3 seems like its within normal range for any cats :-(.

      I do have a couple questions though. Yesterday, Wendy had a GREAT day. She was active, alert and if I didn't know that she was in heart failure, I would have never thought that anything was wrong. The days before that though, were stressful. She seemed lethargic and just not well. I was starting to wonder if she would ever feel any better at all, when she suddenly perked up yesterday. This morning was also really good. But then tonight,she seemed to crash a bit. I noticed her breathing was becoming labored again, so I called the vet and they told me to bring her in. Her respiratory rate was 52, but her gums were bright pink. They said she was struggling to breathe but wasn't in distress. The vet basically described it as "shes getting the air that she needs. Its just becoming hard for her to do." She gave her a shot with a higher dose of Furosemide and within minutes she was breathing normally again. She also told me to increase her dose of Furosemide from twice a day to 3 times a day. At the moment, she seems comfortable and content.

      So I guess my questions are - I know its normal to tweak medicines until we figure out what works for her, but is it normal to have an okay week, and then need a medicine increase in just a week? I'm wondering if she's going downhill faster than I realized or if its somewhat standard to do some medicine changes within a week of diagnosis. When I took her home last week they told me they wanted to see her back in 30 days to monitor her progress so I was a little surprised that we already needed to go back in just a week later. Also, will she ever feel better? I'm not quite sure how to ask exactly what I'm trying to say. I know that she'll never be cured. So I know that she'll never technically get better. But I want to know if she's ever going to feel better, or if she is just going to seem tired and weak until the very end. Yesterday was great and I thought that she was starting to feel better, but then today was a bad day. I guess I'm just wondering if its selfish of me to keep her alive if she isn't feeling well, so I'm curious to know if the right medicines will eventually start to just make her feel somewhat ok again.

      Thanks everyone.

      Brooke (sorry that I never really introduced myself when I joined, but my name is Brooke :-))
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 27, 2013
        Hi Brooke

        We've all been through that, where they have to tweak the medications and
        add more until they get the balance right. If she crashed so quickly, she
        may need to add another medication to help the heart and it is good the
        diuretic is every eight hours. That should help.

        My heart cat Trixi, had a heart attack several years ago and was given no
        chance to survive and was given vetmedin (pimobendan) as a trial. It took
        over a week for her to start to feel better, but during that time we had to
        drop the dose of benazepril as her blood pressure dropped too low and we had
        to stop aspirin as it made her sick and also increase the lasix. You did
        well to spot the change in breathing and get quick action.