RE: [FH] Re: Ginger was just diagnosed with heart failure :(

  • Cindi
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 25, 2013
      I am here to learn but may have something of interest from a human
      standpoint. When staying at the hospital with my Mom who had heart
      failure from chemo, she would often tell me suddenly she was having a
      hard time breathing. During those times she was x-rays and given
      additional lasix. The docs told me fluid buildup can come very fast
      like that. Our cats cannot talk but it seems this may apply to them as
      well.

      Cindi missing the touch of Ditto
      There she was, elegant, beautiful, swathed in the shiniest of clinging
      silks, a vision of loveliness in coffee and cream --- a Princess from
      Bangkok, an Oriental Goddess, a Queen on her throne --- a Siamese cat!
      from May Eustace's Cats in Clover

      On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 7:52 PM, elfinmyst@... wrote:

      > You need to measure her heart rate whislt sleeping at rest, but not
      > dreaming. Measure for 10 seconds and multiply by 6. Around 15 to 25
      > is normal. Over 30 is caution and over 40 an emergency. Get used to
      > what is normal then you can quickly see any changes in thebreathing
      > which indicates fluid in the lungs. If her breathing changes, call
      > the vet immediately.
    • Maggie Wilson
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 25, 2013
        This is why I was wondering in the other thread if it may be better to give smaller doses of lasix more frequently? Cindi, your mom is really helping these cats have voices. I don't want to hijack Ginger's thread but am curious about the lasix dosing.