Lasix dosing

  • Maggie Wilson
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 25 12:00 PM
      What is everyone's experience regarding lasix dosing? Small dose more times or larger doses less times? I'd really like to know if there is a difference and how a large dose may or may not be effective. I know sometimes vets will give very small doses continuously via IV and was thinking it may be more effective in not creating as much dehydration.

      Possibly the larger doses less times per day may take away fluid for that minute but the left-over lasix is still in the system to dry in out when it may be unneeded. It seems Miles builds fluid randomly. I hope what I'm saying makes sense.

      Thank you, again Everyone.

      Brenda
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 25 12:25 PM
        Hi brenda,

        I might be able to help this question. When Trixi had a heart attack we
        gave 5mg lasix every 4 hours round the clock. My other cats have taken 10mg
        every 8 hours for highest dose. The life of lasix is about 8 hours so twice a
        day isn't always enough. It all depends on the kidneys too, a healthy
        kidney can cope with more lasix. If lasix isnt enough, my vet adds
        spironolactone as well and they work well together.

        If a high dose of lasix, you would likely need potassium supplements too.

        Lyn:)