[FH] Ginger was just diagnosed with heart failure :(

  • Laurie Stead
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 25, 2013
      I am sorry about Ginger's dx but don't lose hope. Unfortunately there usually are no warning signs until they are in heart failure.

      How long has it been since she pooped?  Is she straining to go?  She may be constipated which can make them feel miserable.

      As far as her DCM dx it is rare but a few kitties in this group have it, including my Boo.  She was dx through heart failure (similar to Ginger's story) in Oct 2011 and thankfully responded well to the meds.  I would speak to your cardiologist about adding vetmedin (pimobendan).  Although there is not a lot of study with cats, it is known to help dogs with DCM.  Boo went on it after she adjusted to the lasix, plavix and benazepril she was originally prescribed.  The cardiologist told me any cat with DCM should take it.

      Get used to taking Ginger's resting respiratory rate as that is the best indication of oncoming heart failure.  30+ is a warning and 40+ is emergency.  You'll want to get used to what is normal for Ginger so you can monitor any change.

      It's real difficult in the beginning... it's an adjustment for all but know that Ginger with the right meds can do well.  Every kitty is different but getting her the help she needed as soon as you saw difficulty saved her life.  Hang in there and get that constipation figured out. Bet she'll feel better once she has a good poop!

      Laurie and Boo

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 25, 2013
        Hi

        I`m sorry to hear of Ginger. I have a lovely orange kitty too.

        Enalapril is used to help slow heart disease and help it pump more
        easily.They can add another drug like atenolol or vetmedin later if enalapril
        isn't enough. Lasix removes fluid off the lungs and the aspirin is to prevent a
        clot forming.

        You need to measure her heart rate whislt sleeping at rest, but not
        dreaming. Measure for 10 seconds and multiply by 6. Around 15 to 25 is normal.
        Over 30 is caution and over 40 an emergency. Get used to what is normal then
        you can quickly see any changes in thebreathing which indicates fluid in
        the lungs. If her breathing changes, call the vet immediately.

        Was she diagnosed by ultrasound? If not, I would urge you to have one, they
        are really important to show what kind of heart disease it is. And was her
        thyroid checked? She may be sleepier than normal due to the enalapril but
        if she isn't eating, that can be dangerous too. Cats who dont eat in 24
        hours should see the vet as they develop liver problems. So it is good she is
        tempted by salmon. She may not be eating because she has a cold and can't
        smell her food. When my heart cats get an infection, they always get
        antibiotics as they are not as healthy as normal cats and easily get secondary
        infection.

        I would recommend CoQ at 30mg. Mine all take it, but once started never
        stop suddenly. Its from the health shop and has helped a lot with mine.

      • Cindi
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 25, 2013
          I am here to learn but may have something of interest from a human
          standpoint. When staying at the hospital with my Mom who had heart
          failure from chemo, she would often tell me suddenly she was having a
          hard time breathing. During those times she was x-rays and given
          additional lasix. The docs told me fluid buildup can come very fast
          like that. Our cats cannot talk but it seems this may apply to them as
          well.

          Cindi missing the touch of Ditto
          There she was, elegant, beautiful, swathed in the shiniest of clinging
          silks, a vision of loveliness in coffee and cream --- a Princess from
          Bangkok, an Oriental Goddess, a Queen on her throne --- a Siamese cat!
          from May Eustace's Cats in Clover

          On Sun, Aug 25, 2013 at 7:52 PM, elfinmyst@... wrote:

          > You need to measure her heart rate whislt sleeping at rest, but not
          > dreaming. Measure for 10 seconds and multiply by 6. Around 15 to 25
          > is normal. Over 30 is caution and over 40 an emergency. Get used to
          > what is normal then you can quickly see any changes in thebreathing
          > which indicates fluid in the lungs. If her breathing changes, call
          > the vet immediately.
        • Maggie Wilson
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 25, 2013
            This is why I was wondering in the other thread if it may be better to give smaller doses of lasix more frequently? Cindi, your mom is really helping these cats have voices. I don't want to hijack Ginger's thread but am curious about the lasix dosing.