How heart disease can strike

  • Cindi
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 24, 2013
      I found this video about a dog that stopped breathing. A stranger saves
      the dog but it turns out the dog has HCM. This can happen to cats too,
      and may save a life by viewing if you are in this situation.

      http://www.dailydot.com/lol/stranger-saves-dogs-life-video/?utm_source=outbrainFTW5&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=FTW5

      Cindi missing the touch of Ditto
      There she was, elegant, beautiful, swathed in the shiniest of clinging
      silks, a vision of loveliness in coffee and cream --- a Princess from
      Bangkok, an Oriental Goddess, a Queen on her throne --- a Siamese cat!
      from May Eustace's Cats in Clover
    • Westgold
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 24, 2013
        wow, this is wonderful -- and yes, I cried! To hear this woman's grief at the thought she might lose her beloved dog so suddenly, it broke my heart.

        Can we discuss this? I was surprised to see that the guy did no mouth-to-mouth, I wonder why. Keeping oxygen moving to the brain is as important as keeping the blood flowing.

        I believe this was not heart failure like some of our kitties get -- he wouldn't have been able to be revived if his heart had suddenly died. So was this some kind of fainting episode perhaps? I thought I heard somewhere that boxers are prone to certain heart conditions.

        When I lost a kitty to sudden heart failure back in 1995, I did try mouth-to-mouth, I also held her upside down to try to drain some of the fluids. (I found her sitting in a puddle of fluids after she screamed out in pain.) But she was already gone. Fortunately, heart failure like that is fast, so they don't suffer.

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 24, 2013
          I am very interested in knowing what to do in an emergency situation to
          give our loved ones time for a vet to help.

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 24, 2013
              I saved this link years ago because it gives step by step instructions on
              pet CPR, and there's another further down for Heimlich. It's something every
              pet parent should know.

              http://www.squidoo.com/cprfordogs

              Jo
              __________________________

              (mailto:feline-heart@yahoogroups.com) Sent:
              > Saturday, August 24, 2013 12:28 PM
              > Subject: [FH] How heart disease can strike
              >

              > I found this video about a dog that stopped breathing. A
              > stranger saves the dog but it turns out the dog has HCM. This can
              > happen to cats too, and may save a life by viewing if you are in
              > this situation.

              http://www.dailydot.com/lol/stranger-saves-dogs-life-video/?utm_source=outbrainFTW5&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=FTW5

              > Cindi missing the touch of Ditto

              > ------------------------------------
              >
              > Your reply will go to the author of this message. If you feel your
              > reply will benefit the entire group, please change the "To:" line to
              > _feline-heart@yahoogroups.comYahoo_
              (mailto:feline-heart@yahoogroups.comYahoo) ! Groups Links

            • Morven Doyle
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 24, 2013
                Hi all,

                Yep you're right about the boxers condition - it's called ARVC (arrythmogenic right ventricular cardiomyopathy). It's very rare in cats, but this is what my bengal beauty Mia had.

                It all happened very quickly (heart failure beginning of April with no previous symptoms at all, rushed into hospital to remove fluid from her chest under a general anaesthetic & then she came home - improved for around 3 weeks & then steadily declined for 3 weeks, finally I had to send her to rainbow bridge on 22nd of May). Heart-breaking.

                So cats can get this too. My advice is if you think there may be anything wrong at all, trust your instincts & go to the vet. This got me & my baby an extra precious 6 weeks together.

                I now have another bengal beauty called Mickey who has a grade 3 murmur. His recent scan showed no sign of heart disease though & long may that continue!

                Sending you and all your babies love :-)

                Morven n Mickey x

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 24, 2013
                  Morven,

                  Thank you for sharing and I'm so sorry to hear Mia had the same heart
                  disease. The dog in the video died the same month as the video was
                  taken. At least the owner had some additional time with their dog
                  rather than losing him without warning.

                  <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('BubbaCat1@...')> wrote:

                  <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('BubbaCat1@...')>
                  <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('BubbaCat1@...')>
                  I saved this link years ago because it gives step by step
                  instructions on
                  pet CPR, and there's another further down for Heimlich. It's something
                  every
                  pet parent should know.

                  http://www.squidoo.com/cprfordogs <http://www.squidoo.com/cprfordogs>

                  Jo
                  __________________________

                  writes:

                  I am very interested in knowing what to do in an emergency situation to
                  give our loved ones time for a vet to help.

                  Cindi missing the touch of Ditto
                  There she was, elegant, beautiful, swathed in the shiniest of clinging
                  silks, a vision of loveliness in coffee and cream --- a Princess from
                  Bangkok, an Oriental Goddess, a Queen on her throne --- a Siamese cat!
                  from May Eustace's Cats in Clover

                  On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Westgold wrote:

                  > wow, this is wonderful -- and yes, I cried! To hear this woman's
                  > grief at the thought she might lose her beloved dog so suddenly, it
                  > broke my heart.
                  > Can we discuss this? I was surprised to see that the guy did no
                  > mouth-to-mouth, I wonder why. Keeping oxygen moving to the brain is
                  > as important as keeping the blood flowing. I believe this was not
                  > heart failure like some of our kitties get -- he wouldn't have been
                  > able to be revived if his heart had suddenly died. So was this some
                  > kind of fainting episode perhaps? I thought I heard somewhere that
                  > boxers are prone to certain heart conditions.
                  > When I lost a kitty to sudden heart failure back in 1995, I did try
                  > mouth-to-mouth, I also held her upside down to try to drain some of
                  > the fluids. (I found her sitting in a puddle of fluids after she
                  > screamed out in pain.) But she was already gone. Fortunately, heart
                  > failure like that is fast, so they don't suffer. ----- Original
                  > Message ----- From: Cindi To: _feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
                  > <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('_feline-heart@yahoogroups.com')>
                  > _
                  > Saturday, August 24, 2013 12:28 PM Subject: [FH] How heart disease
                  > can strike
                  >
                  > I found this video about a dog that stopped breathing. A stranger
                  > saves the dog but it turns out the dog has HCM. This can happen to
                  > cats too, and may save a life by viewing if you are in this
                  > situation.

                  http://www.dailydot.com/lol/stranger-saves-dogs-life-video/?utm_source=outbrainFTW5&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=FTW5
                  <http://www.dailydot.com/lol/stranger-saves-dogs-life-video/?utm_source=outbrainFTW5&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=FTW5>

                  > Cindi missing the touch of Ditto

                  > ------------------------------------
                  > Your reply will go to the author of this message. If you feel your
                  > reply will benefit the entire group, please change the "To:" line to
                  > _feline-heart@yahoogroups.comYahoo
                  > <javascript:parent.wgMail.openComposeWindow('_feline-heart@yahoogroups.comYahoo')>
                  > _
                  (mailto: feline-heart@yahoogroups.comYahoo