Re: HyPOthyroid- heart issues connection

  • JudithG
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 23, 2013
      Yes, hypothyroidism affects heart function. It affects the entire body and the personality. Untreated will lead to death.

      My angel Bianca went hypoT after I-131. Even with full thyroid panels, it didn't show. Being hypoT myself (which is why I always asked for a full panel) and it taking almost a year until diagnosed, I've always felt I should have caught the symptoms. At the time, there wasn't much info online about post I-131 treatment problems plus it isn't done where I lived. I later found out hypoT after I-131 is very common.

      Is Miles on thyroid replacement hormone now? He should be. The dosage is huge compared to human dosage and often needs to be given twice a day. A consult with Cornell Feline resulted in the suggestion to test twelve hours apart, the same day, to ensure the dosage is correct. With humans, the hormone is systemic, builds up in your system. Not so with cats (and dogs). Plus factor is you don't have to wait 3 months to feel better. Works fast. Bianca went from depressed to her old self in no time.

      You might join the feline hyperthyroid group to get further information.

      Judith
    • Maggie Wilson
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 25, 2013
        Thank you so much for responding, Judith. I'd really like to ask you more questions. I've been a member of all the thyroid groups + adrenals etc- to learn as we've been dealing w/ endocrine issues since Dec 2010 but it seems you have some different info.

        Hemopet and Dr. Dodds has been on Miles' case since the beginning. Lately I've been communicating w/ her daily as we recently began Miles on 1/4 grain Armour. No one can figure him out. He's reacted to the synthetic hormones including T3-cytomel.

        She said it will take several wks until retest so I'd like to know more about what you know w/ animals responding quickly, not building systemically, etc. when you get a moment.

        He's building fluid very fast-pleural effusion w/ RCM- yet his recent last echo says his heart is 'surprisingly' almost the same-just slight worsening since d/x in April. The cardiologist was surprised so this very fast fluid build-up- and I mean w/n hours of a tap, he's respirating again. So this fast fluid build-up is making me look like I'm a crazy cat lady b/c the vets (5)- and one in particular, keeps debating me even though she sent us home twice only to tap 180 ml 2 days late all the while I was giving 30mg injection lasix a day. Miles can't handle much more than that dehydration wise and I've had to up it again w/n the last few days.

        I don't want to waste time here, but the lack of care in my area is atrocious. They think of him as a certain age and don't even read the BW- so I'm trying to treat his low electrolytes, read about high WBC's myself. Because the vets think this fast fluid build is impossible, I believe there is something causing it and underlying the RCM (idiopathic of course). Low thyroid being one- possibly lung infection as another.

        I very very much appreciate anything anyone has to share. You never know when your experiences will help someone. I've been helped tremendously through everyone's stories.

        Thank you Judith for taking the time.

        Brenda

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "JudithG" <goldbe50@...> wrote:

        > Yes, hypothyroidism affects heart function. It affects the entire body and the personality. Untreated will lead to death.
        >
        > My angel Bianca went hypoT after I-131. Even with full thyroid panels, it didn't show. Being hypoT myself (which is why I always asked for a full panel) and it taking almost a year until diagnosed, I've always felt I should have caught the symptoms. At the time, there wasn't much info online about post I-131 treatment problems plus it isn't done where I lived. I later found out hypoT after I-131 is very common.
        >
        > Is Miles on thyroid replacement hormone now? He should be. The dosage is huge compared to human dosage and often needs to be given twice a day. A consult with Cornell Feline resulted in the suggestion to test twelve hours apart, the same day, to ensure the dosage is correct. With humans, the hormone is systemic, builds up in your system. Not so with cats (and dogs). Plus factor is you don't have to wait 3 months to feel better. Works fast. Bianca went from depressed to her old self in no time.
        >
        > You might join the feline hyperthyroid group to get further information.
        >
        > Judith

      • Cindi
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 25, 2013
          Brenda,

          Is his albumin reading low?

          Cindi missing the touch of Ditto
          There she was, elegant, beautiful, swathed in the shiniest of clinging
          silks, a vision of loveliness in coffee and cream --- a Princess from
          Bangkok, an Oriental Goddess, a Queen on her throne --- a Siamese cat!
          from May Eustace's Cats in Clover

        • Maggie Wilson
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 25, 2013
            Hi Cindi-

            Per last bw last week- and he's been eating about the same- it was 2.9 (2.5-3.9). Although, ranges don't necessarily mean much to Miles. He can be low potassium symptomatic w/n low normal- which is was last week. I've been trying to up the K having found a liquid Ionic potassium his stomach tolerates. It also has a little magnesium in it- of which he also was below normal and now low normal even after supping.

            The week before his bicarbonate was high along w/ low chloride and low potassium, low magnesium and the university vets, for some reason, didn't think it was a problem- I'm still trying to learn these electrolyte correlations but I do know they have a significant impact on the heart which I thought a cardiologist would know.

            If anyone has experience w/ the electrolyte side of things as well causing fluid/heart issues, I'd appreciate it.

            I read somewhere metabolic acidosis can cause effusions also. The issue, though, is the speed in which its coming if the heart is not much worse since d/x. It seems it must be coming from the lymphatic side maybe?- like a blockage or something- and I don't know much about the lungs correlation if anyone knows anything...............

            I just think if the vets think this fast fluid build up is impossible, you'd think there is some other correlation to investigate....

            maybe Albumin has to come up further? When you mother's effusions were abated w/ raising the albumin- where on BW, did she have to maintain it? Just curious.....

            has anyone had a cat w/ pericaritis?

            Thank you, Cindi..................

            Brenda

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Cindi <dittykat@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > >> is very common.
            > >>
            > >> Is Miles on thyroid replacement hormone now? He should be. The dosage
            > >> is huge compared to human dosage and often needs to be given twice a
            > >> day. A consult with Cornell Feline resulted in the suggestion to test
            > >> twelve hours apart, the same day, to ensure the dosage is correct.
            > >> With humans, the hormone is systemic, builds up in your system. Not
            > >> so with cats (and dogs). Plus factor is you don't have to wait 3
            > >> months to feel better. Works fast. Bianca went from depressed to her
            > >> old self in no time.
            > >>
            > >> You might join the feline hyperthyroid group to get further
            > >> information.
            > >>
            > >> Judith

            > > Your reply will go to the author of this message. If you feel your
            > > reply will benefit the entire group, please change the "To:" line to

          • Cindi
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 25, 2013
              Human reference range for albumin is about 3.5 to 5.5 g/dL and my Mom
              didn't have effusion issues until it was below 2.5ish. More than likely
              low albumin is not a contributing factor unless Miles has dropped since
              last week.