Re: New to group could use some guidance.

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 21, 2013
      ((This reply was for whole group:))

      Hi Lyn.
      Thank you for writing and for suggesting the echo only.
      We are in the San Francisco Bay area now; spent most of our lives in NY.
      Actually did a lot of work in UK (Beconsfield) and London.

      There are two specialty groups one of which has a cardiologist at their
      location about 1/2 hour away (barring traffic) several days per week. I have
      a call into my GP vet but I suspect there is little she can do other than
      possibly help with a safe sedative...the kitty panted so hard and was so
      frantic in the car I thought she'd give herself a heart attack even before I
      found out it is a she and that she has a heart condition.

      This little tuxedo is adorable and friendly and wants to cuddle, so
      someone took the time to humanize her and neuter before she found us. We suspect
      that once the heart condition was ID'd they let her go stray. She has been
      eating at our feeding station and we didn't realize until this past week
      that she is friendly. Now she's here all night and tried to stay this
      morning. Not feasible given the black male we took in that suffered extreme
      vestibular and horner's syndrome's from ruptured ear canal is very territorial;
      at 15 lbs he'll decimate her.

      As usual, it's a stress mess to figure out but we always do somehow. With
      a heart condition no one is likely to adopt her if we don't find a way to
      fix or control her circumstances. People don't want the trouble or
      costs....it's hard enough getting a cat even at age 1 adopted. People want kittens.

      We are not familiar with any of the meds we've been seeing folks mention
      in their messages.
      Does your forum have reference files I can peruse for more information?
      I didn't see any.

      Thanks again and best regards,
      JR

    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 21, 2013
        Hi JR

        I sent your last post to the whole group to help you. We have files in the
        forum, you can search by keyword to get some help. I hope someone else can
        explain how to do this, as I can't log on today, just Email.

        It may be possible your male boy will accept such a small kitten, who is
        not a threat to him, especially a girl. Cats dont reach social maturity until
        around 2 (3 for some breeds) but obviously this kitten needs to avoid
        stress. If you do want to bring her in I`d ask the vet for advice on how to do
        it, getting used to smells and slowly.

        I would certainly consider a sedation if she is so bad in the car that she
        can't get to the cardiologist. Ask them to just do the ultrasound if they
        will, that's vital for diagnosis. Medication depends on what is wrong.

        Lyn
        _www.myfurkids.co.uk_ (http://www.myfurkids.co.uk)