Re: [FH] Re: What to do with CHF cat during trip?

  • Wendy Solem
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 20, 2013
      I really hope this is an option.  It's what I do for my Jackson too.  He hates to leave the house where he feels safe and the vet techs are wonderful.  They know his history, his medications and most importantly he feels safe and never stressed.

      When I was in college (waaay back when)  I worked as a tech at a vets office and I did this on the side.  I took it very seriously and spent time with each cat I took care of.  It helped with my college expenses and provided a really needed service.  Hoping this is an option she can go for!

      Wendy

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 20, 2013
        I would board Mikko at the vet. Chances are, they know him pretty well by now anyway.

        Our HCM boy turned 20 on Friday. He is one heart event from death, as most of our cats are. He has been this way for the last couple years. Imagine if we never left the house!

        Just pick up a prescription box with 3 compartments per day. Fill it up and the tech's will be thrilled you made it so easy for them.

        As for the tiny cage - chances are that Mikko will curl up and sleep the whole time anyway.

        Carol
      • C
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 21, 2013
          Sadly, no vet techs at my vet's moonlight as pet sitters. And only one of three recommend pro pet sitters called me back, and they were booked. Then I talked to Mikko's vet today and told him I was worried about boarding him and asked his opinion. He said he didn't recommend boarding in Mikko's case and if there was any way for Mikko to stay home and get his meds that would be far less stressful. Yikes talk about scary, when even the vet wouldn't board him....

          Luckily our super awesome neighbors are gonna pill Mikko. They always feed the cats when we're gone anyway, but we thought it was far to much to ask them to give him pills. But, we talked and he came over and gave Mikko his night meds and managed to get them down on the first try for every pill. That never happens to me. So even though I'll still be scared to death, I think Mikko is in good hands. Whew!