Re: Pimobendan doses

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 19, 2013
      Hi Brenda

      My Trixi went straight onto one pimobendan tablet twice a day in an
      emergency. But she also had fortekor, atenolol as well and this lowered her blood
      pressure too much. So she has half a 1.25 tablet twice a day. It worked
      within days for Trixi, along with her other medication.

      Milli also started it due to heart failure caused by a hole in her heart.
      She takes a full tablet, twice a day. It needs to be given 12 hours apart.

      So Trixi is on 1.25mg daily. (0.625 times 2)
      Milli is on 2.5mg daily (1.25 times 2)

      The recommended dog dose is 0.5 mg pimobendan/kg body weight. The product
      isnt licensed in cats. Milli is 5kg so she is on the dog dose. Trixi is 4kg
      and on less. I would take exactly what the cardiologist said. But both my
      cats were emergencies, there was no opportunity to dose slowly.

      As for Spiro, it works alongside Lasix. My cats have 7mg spiro daily .

    • Laurie Stead
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 21, 2013
        Hi Brenda -

        1/18 of a dose is quite low but I understand slowing introducing a new med as I did the same.  I started Boo out with just 1/4 of the1.25mg in the morning and once she tolerated that after a week, I added 1/4 in the evening.  Then we went to 1/2 am and 1/4 pm, and finally to 1/2 am and 1/2 pm where we stand for over a year now.

        As far as how quickly it worked, it's so hard to know since Boo was already taking several drugs including lasix, plavix and benazepril before adding pimo.  I just know the "cocktail" has saved her life.  Also important to note Boo suffers from DCM and that is why the cardiologist was pretty insistent on adding the pimo.  It is known to help dogs with DCM.

        I hope Miles does well on it.  I have never heard a bad story about pimo.  I think it is worth trying.

        Laurie and Boo

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 23, 2013
          This was meant for the group.....

          Sorry Maggie - you did say 1/8... my note had the typo :)

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 23, 2013
            Thank you, Laurie. I just noticed my default replies to the poster. Does anyone know if there is a way to default 'the group'?

            Thank you-

            Brenda

            --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Laurie Stead <kittykatwhiskas@...> wrote:

            > This was meant for the group.....
            >

            > Sorry Maggie - you did say 1/8... my note had the typo :)

          • Mary Sue Rubin
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 23, 2013
              If you hit "reply to all" it will go to both.

              Mary Sue

              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com <mailto:feline-heart%40yahoogroups.com>