Pimobendan doses

  • Maggie Wilson
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 19 3:15 PM
      Hello-

      Also, regarding Pimo- can anyone w/ experience please share what types of doses they are using as well as what their vets have r/x? -and w/ your dose, how many hours/days did it take to see any change (and what change)? I really need specifics.

      I've seen some people's vets 'double' their dose and wanted to know what kind of immediate effect that would have.

      I've always had to start Miles low and slow w/ everything but we're working against time here. I gave him 1/8 of a 1.25mg tab yesterday and today and seems ok to his r/x of the standard (it seems) 1.25mg BID.

      Any specifics help tremendously. Thank you, All again.

      Brenda

      Thank you,
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 19 4:17 PM
        Hi Brenda

        My Trixi went straight onto one pimobendan tablet twice a day in an
        emergency. But she also had fortekor, atenolol as well and this lowered her blood
        pressure too much. So she has half a 1.25 tablet twice a day. It worked
        within days for Trixi, along with her other medication.

        Milli also started it due to heart failure caused by a hole in her heart.
        She takes a full tablet, twice a day. It needs to be given 12 hours apart.

        So Trixi is on 1.25mg daily. (0.625 times 2)
        Milli is on 2.5mg daily (1.25 times 2)

        The recommended dog dose is 0.5 mg pimobendan/kg body weight. The product
        isnt licensed in cats. Milli is 5kg so she is on the dog dose. Trixi is 4kg
        and on less. I would take exactly what the cardiologist said. But both my
        cats were emergencies, there was no opportunity to dose slowly.

        As for Spiro, it works alongside Lasix. My cats have 7mg spiro daily .

      • Laurie Stead
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 21 7:26 AM
          Hi Brenda -

          1/18 of a dose is quite low but I understand slowing introducing a new med as I did the same.  I started Boo out with just 1/4 of the1.25mg in the morning and once she tolerated that after a week, I added 1/4 in the evening.  Then we went to 1/2 am and 1/4 pm, and finally to 1/2 am and 1/2 pm where we stand for over a year now.

          As far as how quickly it worked, it's so hard to know since Boo was already taking several drugs including lasix, plavix and benazepril before adding pimo.  I just know the "cocktail" has saved her life.  Also important to note Boo suffers from DCM and that is why the cardiologist was pretty insistent on adding the pimo.  It is known to help dogs with DCM.

          I hope Miles does well on it.  I have never heard a bad story about pimo.  I think it is worth trying.

          Laurie and Boo

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 23 6:34 AM
            This was meant for the group.....

            Sorry Maggie - you did say 1/8... my note had the typo :)

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 23 8:04 AM
              Thank you, Laurie. I just noticed my default replies to the poster. Does anyone know if there is a way to default 'the group'?

              Thank you-

              Brenda

              --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, Laurie Stead <kittykatwhiskas@...> wrote:

              > This was meant for the group.....
              >

              > Sorry Maggie - you did say 1/8... my note had the typo :)

            • Mary Sue Rubin
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 23 8:22 AM
                If you hit "reply to all" it will go to both.

                Mary Sue

                --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com <mailto:feline-heart%40yahoogroups.com>