RE: [FH] Re: What to do with CHF cat during trip?

  • Judi Levens
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 19, 2013
      This is a tough decision...you are the only one who knows your cat well enough to decide which will stress him least. I would vote for something which keeps him at home and someone who can come in and administer meds and check on him (someone suggested asking at your vets if any of the technicians are available...great idea.) I took my heart kitty on the plane for 3 years to Mexico and back because we live there part time; he tolerated it because he totally trusted me, but I felt it took him almost a month to recover physically from the trips, and he never did recover from the last one, so I don't suggest you take him with you. Good luck with your decision...I'm sure you will find the right solution. People here are just caring individuals, and if someone said something offensive, I don't believe she meant it to be...she has been a participant of this group for years and cares very much about everyone's pets.take care...Judi and Angel Max

      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      From: mcgivney@...
      Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 10:09:01 -0400
      Subject: [FH] Re: What to do with CHF cat during trip?

      Such a tough decision and one that I may face soon too. My heart kitty, Saylor, also has crf and is just now starting to need medications. Last year I boarded him at my vets which is exclusively a feline practice.

      Initially he became stressed at suddenly being confined even though I rented him a spacious condo. Fortunately the boarding staff recognized his stress and let him out and also rocked him to soothe him. He settled down and my absence only last a few days (much like your situation). The vets office also welcomed my calls from the road and readily communicated via email.

      Yes it would be nice if a pet sitter would come in but there is no guarantee that your kitty would make himself available for medication and there is a risk that the sitter wouldn't recognize a need for emergency care.

      Sorry you are faced with this decision but I'm sure with careful thought you will make the decision that is most comfortable for yourself and your kitty.

      Carole

      Sent from my iPad

    • rosemairew20
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 19, 2013
        So I think Westgold must have been projecting their own relationship and life experiences.

        But in any case I had the Vet board my cat for a short time. It was only overnight. I trust my vet and I think your vet is the best place for your kitty. But my cat was nonetheless stressed at the vet and knocked over his water bowl and was without water for several hours overnight. When I got him home he sat in front of the water bowl for 10 minutes drinking. He was so thirsty. I took all his bedding and bowls and toys and some of my clothes so he would have my scent. I boarded him over the weekend so it was quiet and there were no clients running in and out. But again this was still stressful for him. After this one time boarding my cat I did not board him again.

        You might want to invest is some kind of water bowl that can't be tipped over. Just in case.
      • Helen Peterson
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 19, 2013
          I've hired some of the vet techs at the clinic to come to my house to do Toby's pills and foods etc. Toby is scared of everything so taking him with me is not an option.
          It's worked well because they know him, are well qualified to meet his every need, i feel good knowing he is getting the best care, and Toby gets to stay at home. We're lucky the clinic is close and everyone there is amazing.
          Maybe one of your techs would be willing...?
          Good luck and sorry for your loss.

          ~Helen, Toby, & Angel Zima ~
        • Wendy Solem
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 20, 2013
            I really hope this is an option.  It's what I do for my Jackson too.  He hates to leave the house where he feels safe and the vet techs are wonderful.  They know his history, his medications and most importantly he feels safe and never stressed.

            When I was in college (waaay back when)  I worked as a tech at a vets office and I did this on the side.  I took it very seriously and spent time with each cat I took care of.  It helped with my college expenses and provided a really needed service.  Hoping this is an option she can go for!

            Wendy

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 20, 2013
              I would board Mikko at the vet. Chances are, they know him pretty well by now anyway.

              Our HCM boy turned 20 on Friday. He is one heart event from death, as most of our cats are. He has been this way for the last couple years. Imagine if we never left the house!

              Just pick up a prescription box with 3 compartments per day. Fill it up and the tech's will be thrilled you made it so easy for them.

              As for the tiny cage - chances are that Mikko will curl up and sleep the whole time anyway.

              Carol
            • C
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 21, 2013
                Sadly, no vet techs at my vet's moonlight as pet sitters. And only one of three recommend pro pet sitters called me back, and they were booked. Then I talked to Mikko's vet today and told him I was worried about boarding him and asked his opinion. He said he didn't recommend boarding in Mikko's case and if there was any way for Mikko to stay home and get his meds that would be far less stressful. Yikes talk about scary, when even the vet wouldn't board him....

                Luckily our super awesome neighbors are gonna pill Mikko. They always feed the cats when we're gone anyway, but we thought it was far to much to ask them to give him pills. But, we talked and he came over and gave Mikko his night meds and managed to get them down on the first try for every pill. That never happens to me. So even though I'll still be scared to death, I think Mikko is in good hands. Whew!