RE: [FH] What to do with CHF cat during trip?

  • Shi loh
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 18, 2013
      I don't think anyone meant to be rude, and we all have differences of opinion. You asked for suggestions, and you did get some, and you do not have to agree with any of them.

      Is there a way you can get a pet friendly hotel and take Mikko with you? It sounds like it will only be for a few days, and that way you will have your eye on him and be able to administer the meds. The 5 hour car ride and the stay in the hotel might be less stressful than staying with other strange animals, either at the vet or at your boyfriend's parent's home. Also, if Mikko only has weeks to months, I would want to spend as much time as I could with him.

      Again, these are just suggestions. You have to pick the one that feels right to you and is best for Mikko.
      Take Care,
      -Shiloh

      To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com
      From: danishclev@...
      Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2013 01:28:42 +0000
      Subject: Re: [FH] What to do with CHF cat during trip?

      Wow - Westgold, talk about completely rude and not helpful. You have no idea what you're talking about. Where do you get that I hardly know his family or anything else you came up with?

      Not that it's any of your business, but my boyfriend and I have been together for seven years. We live together. We're not 12. He comes home at lunch every day to give my cat his midday lasix. I've stayed in his parents home many times and they've stayed in mine. So like I said, not going isn't an option. No one is pressuring me to go, it's what I want to and feel is only right to do. I'm devastated at the early loss of a kind man. And while I love my cats dearly, I do think the important people in our lives come first.

      I really hope you reconsider before posting advice in the future.

      > If your boyfriend truly loves you he will understand that you cannot go on this trip. The stress of this trip will probably be too much for your poor kitty, no matter what you do. If you come home and find your kitty dead, you will always harbor resentment against your boyfriend for making you go. He's only your boyfriend, it's not like you're married or something. At this time, your kitty is WAY more important. Your kitty needs you SO much more than his family, who hardly know you anyway -- they won't care that much if you're not there, they have their own things to deal with. I know he'd like to have you with him at this tough time, but don't let him pressure you into abandoning your dear kitty companion who needs you a LOT MORE.

    • Hope
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 18, 2013
        Westgold - I always like to assume positive intent, but what you wrote in response to C's message is truly disrespectful in so many ways.
        You know nothing about her relationship, and even if you did, it is none of your business. She was inquiring about the options she has for ill cat, not her relationship. I'm upset for her.
        Never say "if.... Blah, blah, blah" really? Have you heard of unconditional love? And never judge the seriousness of a relationship based on whether it has a piece of paper.

        C- I understand your situation, and you obviously care for your cat and your Boyfriend. I would have the vet take care of them OR see if they have someone that will come to your house to give the meds. My vet has someone that will so it could be an option.

        Sent from my iPad

        On Aug 18, 2013, at 5:17 PM, "Westgold" <westgold@...> wrote:

        > If your boyfriend truly loves you he will understand that you cannot go on this trip. The stress of this trip will probably be too much for your poor kitty, no matter what you do. If you come home and find your kitty dead, you will always harbor resentment against your boyfriend for making you go. He's only your boyfriend, it's not like you're married or something. At this time, your kitty is WAY more important. Your kitty needs you SO much more than his family, who hardly know you anyway -- they won't care that much if you're not there, they have their own things to deal with. I know he'd like to have you with him at this tough time, but don't let him pressure you into abandoning your dear kitty companion who needs you a LOT MORE.

      • elfinmyst
        Message 3 of 16 , Aug 19, 2013
          Hi

          I would definitely leave kitty at the vets. I have done that in the past
          with Milli when we didn't have so many cats. They usually have an isolation
          ward or separate cat ward and although its a small cage it's just afew days
          and the vet will guarantee the pills.

          I am sorry for the loss of your father in law.

        • Debbie Loffredo
          Message 4 of 16 , Aug 19, 2013
            "C"
            I am sorry for your loss and I hope you find a comfortable solution.

            I don't believe the intent was to be rude or harsh but to say it was "it is
            Ok to want to put your cat first" because so many get quilted in "well it is
            just a cat", the huge problem was the assumptions behind the meaning of the
            term "boyfriend". She said "it is not like you are married OR SOMETHING".
            I think you fall into the OR SOMETHING category. Some people will term
            significant other or in this type a situation call them a fiancé/fiancée
            (even if not really) for the significance to be clear in one word.

            I would check with the vet and see if there is a vet tech who would "pet
            sit" him as first choice. 2nd to board him at the vet's, if he is too
            stressed they can give him something (I know cardiologist had offered me
            something for the 1-1/2 hr car ride home but my cat was surprisingly good in
            the car). Vets will also be prepared to syringe feed if needed. They know
            this is sick kitty and will monitor and treat as hospitalized.

            > Wow - Westgold, talk about completely rude and not helpful. You have no
            > idea what you're talking about. Where do you get that I hardly know his
            > family or anything else you came up with?
            >
            > Not that it's any of your business, but my boyfriend and I have been
            > together for seven years. We live together. We're not 12. He comes home at
            > lunch every day to give my cat his midday lasix. I've stayed in his
            > parents home many times and they've stayed in mine. So like I said, not
            > going isn't an option. No one is pressuring me to go, it's what I want to
            > and feel is only right to do. I'm devastated at the early loss of a kind
            > man. And while I love my cats dearly, I do think the important people in
            > our lives come first.
            >
            > I really hope you reconsider before posting advice in the future.
            >

            > --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, "Westgold" <westgold@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> If your boyfriend truly loves you he will understand that you cannot go
            >> on this trip. The stress of this trip will probably be too much for your
            >> poor kitty, no matter what you do. If you come home and find your kitty
            >> dead, you will always harbor resentment against your boyfriend for making
            >> you go. He's only your boyfriend, it's not like you're married or
            >> something. At this time, your kitty is WAY more important. Your kitty
            >> needs you SO much more than his family, who hardly know you anyway --
            >> they won't care that much if you're not there, they have their own things
            >> to deal with. I know he'd like to have you with him at this tough time,
            >> but don't let him pressure you into abandoning your dear kitty companion
            >> who needs you a LOT MORE.

          • Carole McGivney
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 19, 2013
              Such a tough decision and one that I may face soon too. My heart kitty, Saylor, also has crf and is just now starting to need medications. Last year I boarded him at my vets which is exclusively a feline practice.

              Initially he became stressed at suddenly being confined even though I rented him a spacious condo. Fortunately the boarding staff recognized his stress and let him out and also rocked him to soothe him. He settled down and my absence only last a few days (much like your situation). The vets office also welcomed my calls from the road and readily communicated via email.

              Yes it would be nice if a pet sitter would come in but there is no guarantee that your kitty would make himself available for medication and there is a risk that the sitter wouldn't recognize a need for emergency care.

              Sorry you are faced with this decision but I'm sure with careful thought you will make the decision that is most comfortable for yourself and your kitty.

              Carole

              Sent from my iPad
            • Judi Levens
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 19, 2013
                This is a tough decision...you are the only one who knows your cat well enough to decide which will stress him least. I would vote for something which keeps him at home and someone who can come in and administer meds and check on him (someone suggested asking at your vets if any of the technicians are available...great idea.) I took my heart kitty on the plane for 3 years to Mexico and back because we live there part time; he tolerated it because he totally trusted me, but I felt it took him almost a month to recover physically from the trips, and he never did recover from the last one, so I don't suggest you take him with you. Good luck with your decision...I'm sure you will find the right solution. People here are just caring individuals, and if someone said something offensive, I don't believe she meant it to be...she has been a participant of this group for years and cares very much about everyone's pets.take care...Judi and Angel Max

                To: feline-heart@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 16 , Aug 19, 2013
                  So I think Westgold must have been projecting their own relationship and life experiences.

                  But in any case I had the Vet board my cat for a short time. It was only overnight. I trust my vet and I think your vet is the best place for your kitty. But my cat was nonetheless stressed at the vet and knocked over his water bowl and was without water for several hours overnight. When I got him home he sat in front of the water bowl for 10 minutes drinking. He was so thirsty. I took all his bedding and bowls and toys and some of my clothes so he would have my scent. I boarded him over the weekend so it was quiet and there were no clients running in and out. But again this was still stressful for him. After this one time boarding my cat I did not board him again.

                  You might want to invest is some kind of water bowl that can't be tipped over. Just in case.
                • Helen Peterson
                  Message 8 of 16 , Aug 19, 2013
                    I've hired some of the vet techs at the clinic to come to my house to do Toby's pills and foods etc. Toby is scared of everything so taking him with me is not an option.
                    It's worked well because they know him, are well qualified to meet his every need, i feel good knowing he is getting the best care, and Toby gets to stay at home. We're lucky the clinic is close and everyone there is amazing.
                    Maybe one of your techs would be willing...?
                    Good luck and sorry for your loss.

                    ~Helen, Toby, & Angel Zima ~
                  • Wendy Solem
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 20, 2013
                      I really hope this is an option.  It's what I do for my Jackson too.  He hates to leave the house where he feels safe and the vet techs are wonderful.  They know his history, his medications and most importantly he feels safe and never stressed.

                      When I was in college (waaay back when)  I worked as a tech at a vets office and I did this on the side.  I took it very seriously and spent time with each cat I took care of.  It helped with my college expenses and provided a really needed service.  Hoping this is an option she can go for!

                      Wendy

                      ________________________________
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 20, 2013
                        I would board Mikko at the vet. Chances are, they know him pretty well by now anyway.

                        Our HCM boy turned 20 on Friday. He is one heart event from death, as most of our cats are. He has been this way for the last couple years. Imagine if we never left the house!

                        Just pick up a prescription box with 3 compartments per day. Fill it up and the tech's will be thrilled you made it so easy for them.

                        As for the tiny cage - chances are that Mikko will curl up and sleep the whole time anyway.

                        Carol
                      • C
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 21, 2013
                          Sadly, no vet techs at my vet's moonlight as pet sitters. And only one of three recommend pro pet sitters called me back, and they were booked. Then I talked to Mikko's vet today and told him I was worried about boarding him and asked his opinion. He said he didn't recommend boarding in Mikko's case and if there was any way for Mikko to stay home and get his meds that would be far less stressful. Yikes talk about scary, when even the vet wouldn't board him....

                          Luckily our super awesome neighbors are gonna pill Mikko. They always feed the cats when we're gone anyway, but we thought it was far to much to ask them to give him pills. But, we talked and he came over and gave Mikko his night meds and managed to get them down on the first try for every pill. That never happens to me. So even though I'll still be scared to death, I think Mikko is in good hands. Whew!