Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: [FH] Re: Emergency: NOT receiving heparin right now

Expand Messages
  • Carol
    Sorry, that should have been drying up the fluid. ... Lasix alone isn t going to do anything for a clot. It s a diuretic and is for dying up the fluid in the
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 16, 2013
      Sorry, that should have been "drying up" the fluid.

      >>
      Lasix alone isn't going to do anything for a clot. It's a diuretic and is for dying up the fluid in the body (lungs, heart).
      >>


      [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
    • Karen Plasket
      Hi Zoe, Scotch does need Heparin, or at the very least baby aspirin. I ve used DMSO very successfully in small animals, but not in a cat with saddle
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 17, 2013
        Hi Zoe,
        Scotch does need Heparin, or at the very least baby aspirin. I've used DMSO very successfully in small animals, but not in a cat with saddle thrombus...we use 1mL of DMSO and add 9mL of sterile water or saline. In my opinion, it would be worth it to try this, and should not affect any other health issue (and the heart trumps other organs). Every doctor has their opinion on treatments, and what they are personally comfortable with. I try to give my clients all the options, and let them help with the best decision for their own pet.
        Karen Plasket, DVM


        -----Original Message-----
        From: acidsoda <r17re@...>
        To: feline-heart <feline-heart@yahoogroups.com>
        Sent: Fri, Aug 16, 2013 9:36 pm
        Subject: [FH] Re: Emergency: NOT receiving heparin right now






        Hi all,

        I asked my sister to come on the group to ask these questions for me as I was in the ER so there are some misinformation. Right now the ER vet is NOT treating Scotch with any heparin. He is currently on pain killer and will be given lasix because he panicked when his hind legs went limp and started panting. He panted all the way to the ER and is breathing quite fast at the moment. The ER vet said that the use of anticogulant is very controversial and in his opinion, it is the best to wait until the cat is stabilized to give him heparin. But, I am not sure whether if the ER vet really felt so or he wanted to not go ahead with the treatment until he consult with a internist TOMORROW morning. He is also very strong in 'informing' me that euthanasia is the best way to go and pause every now and then to wait for me to change my mind about treating him. It's made me desperate and insecure in the situation. I don't know how I can give up hope on such a young cat. He is only 5 years old and I just can't, not without trying. Even when he is in oxygen tank, he still respond to my touch well, dragged his limp legs to turn around just so he can see me face to face.

        Please let me know your opinion on what is the best time to use heparin in your experience? I'm concern about waiting for an extended period time before giving any anti-clot treatment.

        I will be researching as much as possible well. And will be visiting my cat later tonight. Will take any opinion and research to the vet with me. Thank you all so much.

        Zoe

        --- In feline-heart@yahoogroups.com, elfinmyst@... wrote:
        >
        > Hi
        >
        > Heparin and painkillers are standard.. good you got him there quickly.
        > There was something about using DMSO but I dont know how that works, maybe the
        > vet does? I hope someone else knows about that.. I`m so sorry, it's very
        > serious, I`ll pray for you.
        >
        > Lyn
        >
        > _www.myfurkids.co.uk_ (http://www.myfurkids.co.uk/)
        >
        > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        >








        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • acidsoda
        We lost Scotch in one day. We were able to get a cardiologist who would work aggressively on Scotch s treatment with us but Scotch s body started to reperfuse
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 20, 2013
          We lost Scotch in one day. We were able to get a cardiologist who would work aggressively on Scotch's treatment with us but Scotch's body started to reperfuse too quickly, his potassium level was on the brink of killing his heart and we had to put him to sleep. We are having trouble accepting and coping with his death and needed some time away from everything. We just want to thank everyone who reached out to us and was thinking of us in the past few days. Thank you all for your support and it meant a lot to us. I won't be checking my email in the next few weeks or however long it takes for us to come to term with his death and living without him. He's really our dearest.

          We did also contacted Dr. Jan White from Sawyer Lake about DMSO who was extremely helpful and kind to us. I don't know if it would, but we always thought it could have been the treatment that could have save Scotch if it were given to him immediately after his clot and because his reperfusion started so early on and he is the scaredy cat that he is who can't not be with us. I think it is definitely something worth discussing with your vet and cardiologist about.


          Best,

          Zoe
          Scotch and Ziggy
        • rosemairew20
          Zoe, I am so sorry for your loss of Scotch. You tried your hardest and did everything you could in the fight for his life. He knew he was loved and that you
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 21, 2013
            Zoe,

            I am so sorry for your loss of Scotch. You tried your hardest and did everything you could in the fight for his life. He knew he was loved and that you were there for him. It's never easy to loose a friend, take time to grieve. We are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

            Rose
          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.