Re: [FH] My cat spoo was just diagnosed- saddle thrombosis.

  • chris_catqueen
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 12, 2002
      --- In feline-heart@y..., "Jonathan Rosenberg" <jr40@e...> wrote:
      > I'm very sorry to hear about your girl.
      >
      > As someone else pointed out, these kinds of clots are very
      > serious & difficult to deal with.
      >
      > The best thing you can do for he right now is to get her to a vet
      > cardiologist, since cats that throw clots usually have heart
      > disease. And the best hope for preventing gurther clots is to
      > treat any underlying heart condition.
      >
      > There is no feasible treatment for an existing clot (i.e., it
      > can't be dissolved). The cat's immune system needs to deal with
      > it. But, as the other poster pointed out, it is usual to
      > administer heparin for several days after a clot. The goal is to
      > prevent any other clots that are waiting to "appear" (since clots
      > often appear in bursts). In addition, her heart should be chcked
      > right now to make sure she is not in heart failure. She may need
      > oxygen, for example.
      >
      > If you can't get to a cardiologist, maybe there is another vet
      > nearby that is somewhat familiar with these clots?
      >
      > It is a good sign that she recovered quickly from the first clot,
      > so I would give her a chance to recover from this one. But she
      > needs to be under a vet's care, as she needs to be monitored &
      > her pain controlled.
      >
      > I have lots more info on clots, but I just weanted to get you the
      > basics right now.
      >
      > Please keep us informed. Your girl will be in my prsyers.

      was just at the vet last week. We had x-rays done and a physical and
      the vet said she was fine. The heart was normal in size. The reason
      I took her in was that one of the front feet was cold and she was
      limping. He claimed that it is very unusual for the front feet to be
      affected and did his work up and sent us home. He told me then to
      call if any problems arise because he may put her on a heart med.
      Then yesterday I called to tell them she had another set back
      affecting her back legs and they wanted me to bring her in again. The
      biggest problem I have is it cost 100.00 for him to tell me she was
      fine and probably just injured the front foot, and now that her back
      legs are affected, spend more money I dont have. Right now she is
      getting around slowly, she is breathing fine, eating o.k., and still
      comes around for love and attention. I have not seen her use the
      litter box though. So I am wondering what is wrong. She has
      a "normal" sized heart,and he didnt see any clots. He never offered
      an ultrasound, I didnt even know it existed for animals. I live in a
      little town with little choice of vets. Right now I am keeping a
      close eyeon spoo. She isn't in any pain at this time but I do have
      pain medication that is helping her. I sure love this group. I t is
      great to have other cat lovers to discuss this with. Spoo has been
      in the family for 9 years now and is such a joy. Im keeping my
      fingers crossed for now. I may call the vet today to get the heart
      meds he discussed. Hopefully it doesnt cost much. Thank you again
      for writing me. We shall chat again soon.

    • Lynnie Henderson
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 12, 2002
        Where do you live? Perhaps the nearest big city has a cardiologist or
        diagnostic clinic that could advise you or your vet about the best next
        step. It's expensive to get specialized help, I know. But maybe a more
        specific diagnosis would save you money in the long run by finding the right
        med sooner. Good luck. This is all new to me, too, and it's a scary thing.
        Lynnie
      • chris_catqueen
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 12, 2002
          --- In feline-heart@y..., Lynnie Henderson <lynnie_henderson@m...>
          wrote:
          > Where do you live? Perhaps the nearest big city has a cardiologist
          or
          > diagnostic clinic that could advise you or your vet about the best
          next
          > step. It's expensive to get specialized help, I know. But maybe a
          more
          > specific diagnosis would save you money in the long run by finding
          the right
          > med sooner. Good luck. This is all new to me, too, and it's a scary
          thing.
          > Lynnie

          Hi Lynnie. I live in a small town in Michigan, about 70 miles north
          of the closest big city. Worst of all, Spoo hates the car so bad
          that I am scared to take her somewhere far for fear she would have a
          heart attack! Sounds extreme, but she has such anxiety that it scares
          me that it could kill her. It is 1:00p.m. and I just went to check
          on spoo and she is walking around pretty good. She takes asprin and
          it seems to correct or eliminate the problem. So I am hopeful she
          made it through clot #2 with no paralysis. She had an x-ray last
          week and her heart was normal. I wonder if this is the beginning of
          heart trouble that is not yet showing up on x-ray and if her BP is
          stable so far, because she keeps bouncing back!!!!!! Thanks for your
          thoughts and concern! Spoo's mom.
        • Jonathan Rosenberg
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 12, 2002

            X-rays are not the best technique for sering heart problems.
            Many problems will not show up. Ultrasounds are the best
            diagnostic tool.

            > The reason I took her in was that one of the
            > front feet was cold and she was limping. He
            > claimed that it is very unusual for the
            > front feet to be affected and did his work up
            > and sent us home.

            It's certainly less usual than a rear leg, but I've "seen" it
            happen a number of times.

            > He told me then to call if any problems arise
            > because he may put her on a heart med.
            > Then yesterday I called to tell them she had
            > another set back affecting her back legs and
            > they wanted me to bring her in again. The
            > biggest problem I have is it cost 100.00 for
            > him to tell me she was fine and probably just
            > injured the front foot, and now
            > that her back legs are affected, spend more
            > money I dont have.

            Good health care is expensive. But, it's the best thing you can
            do for your girl.

            > Right now she is getting around slowly, she is
            > breathing fine, eating o.k., and still
            > comes around for love and attention. I have
            > not seen her use the litter box though. So I
            > am wondering what is wrong.

            It is possible that her ability to move her bowels or use her
            bladder has been compromised by the clot. Keep a close ey on
            her. If she seems to be in distress while trying to use the box,
            you need to get her to a vet ASAP.

            She seems to be recovering very well from the clots. But this is
            all the more reason to have her heart checked out thoroughly --
            you may be able to treat her & eliminate further clots.

            > She has a "normal" sized heart, and he didnt
            > see any clots.

            Maybe. As per above, the x-ray is not a great tool here.

            > He never offered an ultrasound, I didnt even
            > know it existed for animals. I live in a
            > little town with little choice of vets.
            > Right now I am keeping a close eye on spoo.
            > She isn't in any pain at this time
            > but I do have pain medication that is helping
            > her.

            The pain medicine may also be making her constipated.

            --
            JR
            Tabby (RB), Lynx (RB), Licorice, Tigger, Jet
            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 12, 2002

              Just to be accurate, aspirin will do nothing to help with an
              existing clot. The cat's immune system has found a way to deal
              with clot (which is very good). Aspirin is used in the hopes of
              preventing future clots.

              > I wonder if this is the beginning of
              > heart trouble that is not yet showing up on
              > x-ray and if her BP is stable so far, because
              > she keeps bouncing back!!!!!!

              I suspect that the clots have been small & that her immune system
              is strong.