Fortekor - split the dose?

  • ktlubsyoo
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 16, 2013
      Hi,

      Just joined this group, so happy to have found you!

      Briefly, I have a gorgeous ginger boy called Froo who was diagnosed with HCM last April aged 4.5yrs. He's now a bit over 5.5yrs. He's been on 1x fortekor and 1x furosemide tablet, once daily since diagnosis. When his breathing looks bad he gets an extra furosemide in the mornings.

      His breathing is a bit bad at the moment, I was just looking around at dosing information to work out if he also needed more fortekor, and ...

      I found a site that said the fortekor is best absorbed by the body if split into two.

      Does anyone know if this is true? If it is the case then I will split his fortekor and try giving him 1x furosemide and 1/2 fortekor twice daily for a while to see if he improves.

      Also, morbid question for those of you who have been through the whole cycle. How do you know when enough is enough? Or do things tend to end dratically? My heart just breaks every time I look at him :'(

      Thanks
      Katie
    • elfinmyst
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 16, 2013
        Hi Katie

        I am sorry to hear Froo is sick. If his breathing is bad, that's a sign
        fluid is building up and usually time to contact the cardiologist. He may
        need more drugs than Fortekor and furosemide.

        Some of mine split their fortekor 12 hours apart but Josh has his in the
        morning in one dose. I prefer to split mine to keep the dose steady.

        Can you tell us what dose of drugs he is on? There are other drugs he could
        take like vetmedin and atenolol if needed.

        Keep an eye on breaths per minute and change of breathing style, like
        deeper breaths and doubles. If this happens it is a warning of fluid build up.
        Over 30 is caution and over 40 emergency. This is breathing at rest, when he
        is totally relaxed.

        I would think about adding CoQ at 30mg from the health store. All my heart
        cats take it. Once you start though, don't stop suddenly so if he goes into
        hospital he needs to have it with him for them to give. A lot of heart
        cats here take it.

        Don't worry about prognosis. Trixi, my calico British was diagnosed as a 3
        month kitten with advanced HCM and given 2 months to live. That was 7 YEARS
        ago!! Froo hasn't heard the prognosis, cats can and do live long ahnd
        happy lives with HCM. He has no clue he is sick, enjoy each day and relax. He
        will pick up on your unhappy moods.

        Love