Re: new poster - many questions (continued, I sent accidentally)

  • elfinmyst
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 13, 2013
      Hi Barbara

      You did well to stop the breathing increase and deal quickly with the heart
      failure. I would talk to her cardiologist immediately with your concerns
      as it may be she needs a different medication or even the addition of
      something to help her appetite.(Not steroids though as these are very dangerous
      to a cat in heart failure).

      I would also take her in to have her teeth checked first of all and to make
      sure she hasn't a sore throat or anything obvious causing it. Losing a
      pound over a week is a worrying loss and definitely needs to see a vet as
      losing so quickly can cause liver problems. I would see the cardiologist or vet
      today.

      Lyn:)

    • psychoforkaatz
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 13, 2013
        I would also suggest syringe feeding if she isn't eating enough. If the weight loss has caused liver problems, hepatic lipidosis, food, enough food to meet her daily caloric needs is the only cure. It seems all the sick cats I've dealt with over the years all lost weight due to insufficient food intake. No matter what the disease, many cats die of starvation before the disease can take them. It seems like no matter what's actually wrong, they don't feel like eating. The feline assisted feeding group on yahoo is an excellent resource to help you assist feed your cat so that she has the strength to fight the actual disease. I have vowed never to lose another cat to starvation because the vet and i are too busy worrying about treating the disease. Proper nutrition is just as important, and works together with the treatment to give your cat a quality life for as long as possible.

        HTH
        Kendall

        > Hi Barbara
        >
        > You did well to stop the breathing increase and deal quickly with the heart
        > failure. I would talk to her cardiologist immediately with your concerns
        > as it may be she needs a different medication or even the addition of
        > something to help her appetite.(Not steroids though as these are very dangerous
        > to a cat in heart failure).
        >
        > I would also take her in to have her teeth checked first of all and to make
        > sure she hasn't a sore throat or anything obvious causing it. Losing a
        > pound over a week is a worrying loss and definitely needs to see a vet as
        > losing so quickly can cause liver problems. I would see the cardiologist or vet
        > today.
        >
        > Lyn:)

      • Debbie Loffredo
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 13, 2013
          Your RN knowledge is helpful, sometimes because they can't talk we have to
          draw on what a person would experience and use that to try things.
          I never got Cat-man's appetite totally back. But I found when he left his
          dish if I picked it up and brought it to him and held it he would eat more.
          When I was home, I would occasionally get his dish and take it to where he
          was napping and get him to eat. I had to chuck the idea of feeding "high
          quality" food. I had my best successes with the Fancy Feast Classics line
          (they are pates, my cat will only lick the gravy off any shreds or chunks).
          I have had the cats off of kibble for several years but in the effort to
          gain weight and to tempt I got a bag of Evo dry (It has the highest
          calories) and crushed it and sprinkled on canned food. I also think he was
          more comfortable with the dish elevated. Not sure why if it was stomach acid
          or some sort of pressure.

          How long has your cat been on the drugs? has the kidney & liver values been
          checked since? Lasix can be hard on the kidneys (however my cat was taking
          20 mg 2x a day and kidneys were functioning beautifully). Have the
          electrolytes been checked? Lasix can mess with that as well. I wonder about
          nausea/stomach acid issue. I wish I had tried Pepcid Ac on Cat-man much
          earlier, I think it was too late before I realized/thought of the drugs
          taking a toll on his stomach (infact it was my picky eating horse who needs
          Ranitidine if he gets drugs that made me think).
          I am sure there will be others will ideas and suggestion!

          Deb and Angel Cat-man

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 13, 2013
            Barbara,

            I have had good luck getting a cat to start eating with BeechNut baby food
            chicken or turkey. It is pure meat (and water) and though it isn't balanced
            for long term it is better than nothing. It is somewhat like gravy for cats
            who like to lick the gravy off of canned food. Avoid other brands which have
            corn starch added. The best appetite stimulant is often food, so starting on
            anything the cat will eat is helpful. Another trick is to crush and sprinkle
            one of the raw dehydrated foods on top of something else. Stella and Chewy's
            is one example, but there are others. That has also worked with any sick cat
            I've dealt with. With the dehydrated, when I crush it I remove the tiny hard
            pieces of bone. That is needed for calcium, but for short term or partial
            feeding that should be okay. The bone could be upsetting to cats not used to
            it.

            Has your cat had her blood pressure checked since starting the enalapril?

            Mary Sue