My first cat with possible heart disease

  • DIANE
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 8, 2013
      Hi and thank you to everyone who has contacted me. Sorry that I have had to start a new post but I appear to be having problems replying or even seeing the replies to my message on the site. Someone asked about how old my cat is relating to thyroidism. Firstly, I do already have a cat with thyroidism and at the moment, apart from eating everything in sight, Brynner isn't showing symptoms. I don't think that the cardio was meaning that he would cough with thyroidism but that his heart could have enlarged through quickened breathing, etc when trying to deal with the condition. Brynner was in such a state when he went into the vet and is a large well grown tom that there was a debate at the surgery and the age of him was placed from 3 to 7 years of age. I would say that he is only a young cat now that he is getting well fed and clean. He looks totally different to the semi feral that went into the vet.
      Thank you to everyone for their good wishes for him and I will keep you upto date with his cardio visit which is Wednesday.
    • Jordan
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 9, 2013
        Hi Diane,

        I have a himalayn kitty, Sheba who has been diagnosed with feline asthma and unclassified cardiomyopathy. This has been diagnosed by a cardiologist.

        However, the cardiologist (and other vets) have never been able to detect a heart murmur by sethoscope. Yet, Sheba's heart is enlarged and she does have heart disease. This has been confirmed on her cardiac ultrasounds.

        If it is possible that you kitty has heart disease, I would highly recommend you do not give any oral steriods or injections to this kitty. This could push him into congestive heart failure (CHF).

        Sheba is on inhaled steriods and this is the preferred method. Flovent is administered via the AeroKat inhaler and allows the medication to go directly to the lungs where it is needed without any systemic effects to the vital organs. It also does interfere with her heart medications taken orally.

        You may email me private and I can tell you where you can get inhalers very reasonable.

        Good luck,
        Jordan and Sheba